Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pineviewpathology

pineviewpathology

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi, sorry, but I keep having problems with the boot disk. When I run the boot disk I press R to take me to the recovery console, but it doesn't recognize my hard drive, so it won't start. I don't know what to do, what would happen if I ran the Windows setup, would that also take me to a command prompt? I had to use a windows xp disk because my computer doesn't have a floppy drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

Why are you trying to boot from a windows disk? What problems are you having! :thumbsup:
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 pineviewpathology

pineviewpathology
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

my problem's that i got a virus on my computer that kept taking me to a blue screen when i started in safe mode, then i forced my computer to start in safe mode and now whenever it starts it always goes to that blue scree, i've been told that with a boot disk i could get into the command prompt and then change my boot file so that it could start properly, but whenever i insert the boot disk and press r it says that it doesn't recognize my hard drive, so I don't know what to do. Thanks for your help.

#4 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

If you get a bluescreen everytime you start your computer it is more likely to be a hardware issue. Eg if it cannot find your harddrive it could of failed!
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

What's the error message displayed on the BSOD?

Louis

#6 pineviewpathology

pineviewpathology
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

I'm not sure exactly because I'm on a computer at the library, but it says something like the hard drive is not recognized, make sure it is connected properly, and installed properly, you might have to use manufacturer software to set it up. And then it says press F3 to quit setup

#7 pineviewpathology

pineviewpathology
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

it says-NO HARD DRIVES INSTALLED and it cannot continue. The same happens if I choose a clean installation, but I think it reads the hard drives because I ran an HDD test on BIOS, and it passed all three tests... so i dont know what it is, i've also set the boot preferences on BIOS to read the hard drive first, then optical drive

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

What HDD test did you run?

Was it the diagnostic available at the website of the hard drive manufacturer?

If so, did you run the long/extended test or the short one? The long one is the better tool.

<<i've also set the boot preferences on BIOS to read the hard drive first, then optical drive>>

If you are trying to repair or install from boot CD or XP CD...the optical drive must be set as the 1st option in the boot order reflected in the BIOS.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users