Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Connect to Most Internet Websites (IE8 or Firefox 3.0.10)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Morris

Bruce Morris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

For almost four months, I have been having a serious problem with my desktop (Win XP SP3, Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1 GB, 120 GB HD-partitioned into two 60 GB, IE8, Firefox 3.0.10, NIS 2008, several other Anti-malware products) connecting to the Internet via cable modem (Cogeco claims the connection is OK, and Network Magic Pro 5 and Windows Network connection show it is OK). I can only access NIS 2008 Symantec Live Update, and have been doing so daily. To access Windows Update, I have to disable all non-Microsoft services, but then I can only perform one function on the Windows Update webpage - i.e. either perform an Express update, or Check Update History. I have tried a great many possible solutions, as provided by a number of "helpers" on Experts Exchange, and several other help-related tech support websites. I have attached an MS WORD document (2.9 MB - hence may not be accepted - how can I make it available?)which chronicles the majority of my unsuccessful attempts. It appears that the root cause could be one or more corrupt files or registry entries, but I have no idea how to diagnose this type of problem. Two of the "last resort" solutions appear to be to first try a Win XP SP3 reinstall (using a streamlined CD-ROM from my original Win WP Home SP1 CD, then, if that does not succeed, a hard drive reformat (my partition holds almost all of my data, which I have backed up using Retrospect Express 7.5, onto an external WD HD).
Obviously, I am seeking a less painful option than either of these two "last resort" ones. I would be most grateful for any help/guidance/counsel.
Appreciatively, Bruce

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

For almost four months, I have been having a serious problem with my desktop (Win XP SP3, Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1 GB, 120 GB HD-partitioned into two 60 GB, IE8, Firefox 3.0.10, NIS 2008, several other Anti-malware products) connecting to the Internet via cable modem (Cogeco claims the connection is OK, and Network Magic Pro 5 and Windows Network connection show it is OK). I can only access NIS 2008 Symantec Live Update, and have been doing so daily. To access Windows Update, I have to disable all non-Microsoft services, but then I can only perform one function on the Windows Update webpage - i.e. either perform an Express update, or Check Update History. I have tried a great many possible solutions, as provided by a number of "helpers" on Experts Exchange, and several other help-related tech support websites. I have attached an MS WORD document (2.9 MB - hence may not be accepted - how can I make it available?)which chronicles the majority of my unsuccessful attempts. It appears that the root cause could be one or more corrupt files or registry entries, but I have no idea how to diagnose this type of problem. Two of the "last resort" solutions appear to be to first try a Win XP SP3 reinstall (using a streamlined CD-ROM from my original Win WP Home SP1 CD, then, if that does not succeed, a hard drive reformat (my partition holds almost all of my data, which I have backed up using Retrospect Express 7.5, onto an external WD HD).
Obviously, I am seeking a less painful option than either of these two "last resort" ones. I would be most grateful for any help/guidance/counsel.
Appreciatively, Bruce

ok
Start run
type cmd
type ping google.com

You should see something like this

Pinging www.google.com [74.125.67.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=245
Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=245
Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=150ms TTL=245
Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 74.125.67.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 100ms, Maximum = 120ms, Average = 150ms
Posted Image

#3 Bruce Morris

Bruce Morris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

Hi Zesler: Thanks for the prompt response. Regrettably, my document describing the gist of my four months efforts to address my problem was too big to submit (2.9 MB vs the 512 KB limit). I have already spent much time using the "ping" approach to testing webpage links. The results have been erratic, with some sites showing a positive ping response, but yet not being accessible via either IE8 or Firefox! There are many such examples (screen shots in the document). Is there any easy means to provide you with this document?
Appreciatively, Bruce

#4 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

Hi Zesler: Thanks for the prompt response. Regrettably, my document describing the gist of my four months efforts to address my problem was too big to submit (2.9 MB vs the 512 KB limit). I have already spent much time using the "ping" approach to testing webpage links. The results have been erratic, with some sites showing a positive ping response, but yet not being accessible via either IE8 or Firefox! There are many such examples (screen shots in the document). Is there any easy means to provide you with this document?
Appreciatively, Bruce

If ping works but you can't view websites then that means there is a firewall or some device blocking specific traffic. Do you have a router/firewall? Check if its blocking web traffic.
Posted Image

#5 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:14 PM

Uninstall Norton or disable the norton firewall and see if that helps?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#6 Bruce Morris

Bruce Morris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

Hi Zesler & Andrewww: I have tried everything (it seems to me) from checking firewall settings and Internet security settings, through disabling NIS 2008 (and Zone Alarm Pro when I was also using it), to uninstalling all Anti-malware programs. The fact remains that, while some pings were successful (although the access attempts were not), there were many pings that were consistently unsuccessful. The seemingly erratic. inconsistent behaviour is most troublesome! I truly wish that I could provide you with a copy of my document. Perhaps I will try attaching it in six parts, each , 512 KB? I have also tried "netsh winsock reset" in Command Prompt, then re-booted, but this did not permit Internet access to be successful. Now, with an upgrade from NIS 2008 to NIS 2009, even the Live Update would not connect (whereas it had with NIS 2008), and, of course, I could not connect to Symantec/Norton website to Activiate the upgraded product. Despite my please to Symantec to find a "work-around" to send me something to enter manually to achieve activation, there has been no solution at least not yet!
Any other suggestions? Thanks again, Bruce

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

I would have bought a new NIC long ago.

I see little point in fiddling around with NIC or USB issues...where it's likely that hardware failures are the problem. Neither a new NIC nor a USB 2.0 PCI card cost very much and it's good to have spares if I'm wrong.

Louis

#8 Bruce Morris

Bruce Morris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

Hi hamluis: Thanks for the thought, which happens to be one that no one else has raised to date!
I have been avoiding anything involving moving my tower, because to do so requires some major reconfiguration of my computer work area. Is there a reliable simple test for just the NIC? The Cisco Linksys WRT 160N v2 router is brand new, although my trouble started after I replaced my previous one with this one.
Appreciatively, Bruce

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

Well, I don't know a lot about networking (which is probably why I'm willing throw hardware at just about any connectivity problem).

I'm confused by the fact that you can connect to one particular website...never known anything that would allow such.

I typically do the uninstall/reinstall routine for the NIC when problems appear...because something may have occurred to damage key files.

If I reinstall...elect the proper protocols...and still have connectivity problems...and I have no indication from Event Viewer that something is amiss with connectivity which I can address...I punt and pop in a NIC PCI card.

All of this, of course, is after I have verified that there are no issues with the signal, modem, or router. It's easy enough for me to do this because I have two systems. If one has no problem, I can eliminate non-system suspects.

If I have no error messages/notifications...I eliminate XP.

That leaves the (usually) onboard NIC, IMO.

In addition to the members/visitors here who might have a clue, BC also has a networking forum, where the personnel are undoubtedly much more knowledgeable about connectivity issues, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users