Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Device Problem, Help Needed?.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and up to date. Today I bought a Microsoft Webcam and went to install it but got an error every time it went to install the drivers from the installation disk. I thought it must be a faulty USB and went online and found an MSN tutorial on switching off the USB drivers in Device Manager and then rebooting the PC. When this failed to solve the problem I took the next step which was to switch off the "Disable Selective Suspend" feature in Windows, as I did not want to mess with the registry I did this via the alternative Hotfix method. This didn't help either.
I then looked at what was connected to my USB ports and working and my printer my keyboard and my mouse are connected and working ok. I have three remaining empty USB ports. As I had a 1 in 4 out USB Hub on hand I thought that a possible solution might be to switch my printer off unplug the cable and plug it into one of the four outputs on the hub. I plugged the Hub into the USB socket which had been working with the printer, switched the printer on and tested it all out by printing off a single sheet from my wordfiles. This worked ok and so I uninstalled the Webcam from my ARP list in order to do a clean install. After a reboot I reinstalled from the supplied disk and when it told me to plug in the cam to the USP port I plugged it into the second of the four ports in the hub next to the printer I then watched as it did exactly the same as the times previously. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what could be wrong?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

What was the exact error message?

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

No exact message. The wizard does it's thing and then the driver install screen appears and as soon as the files start flying across between the two folder icons a message appears saying error Windows cannot install this device.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:19 PM

I see.
Your computer meats the system requirements for the webcam I assume?
My guess is that it has to do with drivers.
Is there any information available in your Device Manager on the webcam, or is it non-existent because it wasn't fully installed?

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Yes my PC meets the requirements and it is also a Microsoft webcam. The problem is definitely in the PC as a few weeks back I had the same problem trying to install my digicam which had previously been installed on this PC without problems. Exactly the same, Windows installing everything from the install disk to the point of installing the drivers and then stopping with this error. I went into the BIOS earlier and it is all how it should be in there according to the users manual. Is there a possibility that this could be caused by the SP3 update?. My working USB devices printer, keyboard and mouse were all installed prior to updating to SP3. I thought it might be a problem with Windows Installer so went to Windows Downloads and installed the latest version for my PC this afternoon but it has made no difference at all. I would be eternally grateful if someone could help me solve this mystery.

Edited by bluesjunior, 25 July 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#6 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Why not unistall SP3 and give it ago?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:11 AM

Mysterygames,
In device Manager there is a yellow question mark against the first USB device in the list which I right click on to reinstall the drivers and then we go through the same procedure as mentioned previous.

Andrewww,
I will probably try this prior to a reformat but see it as a last resort. I was hoping to get a solution to the problem here without being too drastic.

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImageThinking it may have been my Comodo CIS that was somehow causing the problem I decided to uninstall it this morning and restart the built in Windows Firewall alongside a new installation of Avira Antivir. I did this and after rebooting and making sure everything was working I put the webcam CD into my optical drive and when it told me I inserted the USB plug into an unused USB port. The PC made the usual kabung sound but this time I never got the found new hardware icon in the task bar and had to open up System>Hardware>Device Manager and told it to reinstall the drivers. The results you can see in the two screenshots I have taken. This is a strange problem it is as though something somewhere has been switched off but I am 60 and although I can fix your car I don't really know much about computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users