Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing mp3 files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 daneres

daneres

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

Hi,
Sorry, am quite pc illiterate... Most of my folders with mp3 files suddenly dissapeared. I did check for hidden files even in the registry but could not find them. I know the files are still there coz when I check the folders properties, there's still 35gbt used space. All of my music files are stored in a separate drive. Using Windows XP.
Tx for your help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 F2OOO™

F2OOO™

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

There's a few ways you can find files misplaced files.

1) look through "Recent Documents" folder, to enable it if not shown, follow the arrows below

Right click the START MENU button => Properties => Task Bar => Customize => Lower checkbox marked for "show recently opened items"

2) Manually search each user account on your computer in windows explorer, Replace "Administrator" with your user account name if applicable,
change to whatever name you use @ windows login screen, if no name is used, it's defaulted to "Administrator". Right click the START MENU button
and pick "Explore"

Copy & Paste to search folders in "My Documents, My Movies, My Pictures, etc..."
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents

Copy & Paste to search folders in "Recently Opened Objects"
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Recent Documents

Copy & Paste to search folders in "Desktop"
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop

Copy & Paste to search folders in "Start Menu"
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu

Good luck, being a huge music fan myself, I totally know how you feel, and hope this helps.

#3 daneres

daneres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

Tx a million, will try n let you know.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

Or in the old fashion way, login as administrator,
Open command prompt from Start Menu > Run and typing cmd
and type in command-prompt window :
c:
cd \
dir /s /a *.mp3

Now skip to d: drive using
d:
and use same code to search and so on for each drive.

#5 daneres

daneres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

Big tx to all of you....will keep this for future similar problems. What I did prior to getting your advice was...running a disk check/scan/repair on that particular drive and voila....!! all files back in place ...!! :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

Just a cautionary note: When files/folders/partitions start disappearing from view, I interpret that as a signal to check that drive/partition for stability. I would run a manufacturer's diagnostic on that partition/drive, just to have the peace of mind that the drive is not having problems.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I would also check Event Viewer very carefully for any errors noted which involve Disk0, Disk1, etc.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

It never hurts to anticipate possible future problems when certain signals are sent.

Louis

#7 daneres

daneres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:34 AM

Tx and noted ....hamluis. Will check asap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users