Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton AV 2009

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rico_suave

rico_suave

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

I have an XP machine which I just installed NAV 2009 on it. There are two admin accounts and one limited user account. When the computer is rebooted and everything is loaded, neither of the admin accounts can access the internet unless both accounts are logged in. I've contacted Norton and they are of very limited help (including the fact that it is very difficult to understand their accents). They have had me try the netsh winsock reset catalog command, but that does not seem to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

I have an XP machine which I just installed NAV 2009 on it. There are two admin accounts and one limited user account. When the computer is rebooted and everything is loaded, neither of the admin accounts can access the internet unless both accounts are logged in. I've contacted Norton and they are of very limited help (including the fact that it is very difficult to understand their accents). They have had me try the netsh winsock reset catalog command, but that does not seem to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi rico_suave,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support team.

It sounds like the Admin accounts on your machine may be corrupted. Make sure that you have the latest Microsoft patches applied to Windows XP by running Windows Update, possibly multiple times, until it informs you that there are no more updates available.

Open Norton AntiVirus 2009 and manually run LiveUpdate to ensure that you have the latest patches applied. If any updates are installed, restart your computer.

Next, create another Admin account on your computer and test to see if you can access the internet when logged in to just the newly created account.

Please let me know the outcome.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#3 rico_suave

rico_suave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:56 AM

Michael -

I did the Windows Update, Live Update and added the new admin account as you suggested and I am still running into the same issue.

I am really aggravated at the situation. I know the cause of this is the software, because if I remove the software everything works as normal. There is no other explanation other than the issue is being caused by NAV 2009.

I need a resolution to this now.

#4 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

Michael -

I did the Windows Update, Live Update and added the new admin account as you suggested and I am still running into the same issue.

I am really aggravated at the situation. I know the cause of this is the software, because if I remove the software everything works as normal. There is no other explanation other than the issue is being caused by NAV 2009.

I need a resolution to this now.

Hi rico_suave,

The problem you are having is not caused by Norton AntiVirus. Make sure that you do not have any other third-party security applications installed or other programs that route and manage traffic, as they could be causing conflicts.

I would strongly suggest that you run the Windows Check Disk utility 3-4 times to make sure there are no problems with your hard drive. This utility is known to resolve strange issues such as the one you are experiencing.

After you run the Check Disk utility 3-4 times, restart your computer into Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton AntiVirus and complete a "Full System Scan" to make sure there are no infections present.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 03 August 2009 - 06:59 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users