Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

battery on motherboard dead?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bat5454

Bat5454

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

I have an old HP desktop (725n) about 6 or 7 years old - every time I unplug it, the time & date get re-set to 2000/01/01.

I'm guessing that the battery on the motherboard is dead & needs to be replaced - Is there any way to confirm thats the problem?

Also - I talked to a guy at a place that sells replacement batteries, he said you have to be very careful replacing
batteries on the motherboard or you could really hose things up -

Is that true? any tips?

thanks
BT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:25 AM

Replacing a CMOS battery is normally a very easy thing to do. The one caution I would make is to ensure that you don't break the device which holds the battery in (they vary in design) and...make sure you put the same side up (should be the side with the plus sign) as the original battery reflected.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

...and you don't have to write down any settings, just adjust the date/clock after the new one is in.

Louis

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

make sure you get the right battery
same model and volts and stuff

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

Also make sure the flat, Plus + side is facing upward

Edited by garmanma, 25 July 2009 - 11:52 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Bat5454

Bat5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Thanks all for the replies -

I replaced the battery & it was very simple, and it did correct the problem with the date & time

regards

BT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users