Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gocatsgo08

gocatsgo08

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

I recently dropped my laptop and it does not work yet. To try to retrieve my files from the hard drive, I bought a USB hard drive enclosure. My question is this....I bought a SATA USB enclosure, but on the back of my laptop hard drive, it says ATA. The drive seems to fit the enclosure well, but I can't access the drive from my desktop PC. This may be because the hard drive was damaged from the fall, but would my ATA drive work correctly in an SATA enclosure? Thanks in advance for any help, as I have searched for an answer but can't find the exact info I need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:38 AM

All hard drives are ATA .
The difference is SATA or PATA [IDE]

If it fit in the enclosure & hooked up it should work if it's going to & your desktop is providing enough power at the USB port.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 gocatsgo08

gocatsgo08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:23 AM

All hard drives are ATA .
The difference is SATA or PATA [IDE]

If it fit in the enclosure & hooked up it should work if it's going to & your desktop is providing enough power at the USB port.

Thanks for the response. That clarified the ATA/SATA difference for me.

It did fit well into the enclosure, but I am having trouble accessing the drive on my desktop computer. The power light on the enclosure does not stay on constantly, but it rather blinks on and off. I was able to access the drive once after I connected it, but my computer slowed down to a crawl and I could not access all folders and files on the drive. Eventually my computer froze, until I removed the drive from my USB port.

BTW, the enclosure does not have a power cord, it receives its power from the USB ports. It has two USB connectors, and I both, as the manual says that both may be necessary to get enough power.

I was thinking the mobo of my laptop was destroyed when I dropped it, but maybe its just the hard drive. Any suggestions or tips for troubleshooting the laptop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users