Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu temperature problems...please help.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 simster571

simster571

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

ok so here's my system:

Athlon FX-62 (125w, 2.8Ghz dual core)
M2N-SLI DELUXE AM2 motherboard
6 GB DDR2 1066 OCZ ram
500 watt thermaltake PSU
750 GB HDD
PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1024 MB graphics card
Vista Ultimate 64-bit sp2

...and i believe thats all the main hardware.

The problem is I built this system about 2 years ago and when I did I had a liquid cooling system that cooled the cpu. Seemed to work find, never really remember by CPU temps going over about 55 degrees C. Since then the water-pump from the liquid cooling system took a dump and so I just went back to a regular fan. I bought this fan for the CPU : here on newegg .......it seemed to be fine I didnt do a while lot of gaming on it like I used to so the temps never really got out of control, usually never past 50 or so which i thought was kinda high for it to just be chillin but I knew it wasnt to hot for it so I just left it alone.

anyways, I recently picked back up on a few games i used to play (age of empires 3 mainly) and I know that there is no way that that game puts to much of a strain on any of my hardware..i have it set on maximum graphics and all but my hardware should have no trouble with that. my cpu temp would shoot to 80+ CELCIUS playing this game!!!

So I figured it must be because my case doesnt have good circulation...my case only has 2 fan slots...one 80mm and one 120mm, and only the 80mm slot had a fan in it...and it was the one that came with the case and wasnt very good. the 120mm slot is where i used to have the radiator from my liquid cooling system, but i took it out and never bothered to put a fan back there. so i bought these 2 fans to put in each slot : Tornado 80mm and this: Silverstone 120mm. they were the highest power fans i could find (and afford)...

After putting in the new fans, my cpu idle temp is in the 30's (right now it is 33...depending on the temp of the room it may get to 38 or 40) but still when i play AOE3 i will still see it jump into the 80's. so like all i accomplished was lowering my cpu idle temperature :thumbsup:

When im playing, i see no tearing notice no lagging, dont really feel any extra heat coming out my computer, never freezes, no signs of a cpu thats to hot.

Could my cpu temp gauge on my mobo be bad? Is my cpu fan just to small? help i dont wanna burn my cpu up!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:36 AM

That cooler is totally inadequate for a 125 watt TDP CPU.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users