Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to reinstall Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

Please post in proper forum.

After uninstalling Adobe Flash Player from Add/Remove Programs, many attempts to reinstall from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/, after I click "agree and install", the page freezes, an error notice comes up that says "this program cannot be closed because it is locked by the system". The only way to shutdown is the on/off button because even task manager cannot close this notice.
I've read the Adobe TechNotes 19166 & 19148, but don't understand them. Using the "SubInACL" from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent Flash Player installation deals with the registry, and I don't know enough to do this. Adobe Shockwave Player doesn't seem to have this reinstall problem.

I disabled DEP for Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer because it kept coming up in the midst of all this other mess. I ran SASpyware, MBAM, AVG 8.0 and there's no problem. I disabled Zone Alarm free; at Tools I enabled Download Signed ActiveX and Run ActiveX controls and plugins - no change in freezing.

At http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/...o/instructions/, if I click install, the Information Bar comes up, and by the time I get the mouse up to click on "click here", the whole page freezes and the on/off button has to be used to close the page.

How did this simple program get so complicated?
What am I doing wrong?

I have an HP dv6135 MCE, Windows XP Pro, IE8.

Thank you. Posted Image

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:19 AM

Have you uninstalled the old version of Flash?

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

Have you uninstalled the old version of Flash?

Yes, I uninstalled Flash Player and Shockwave Player just to be sure. Shockwave reinstalled just fine, but not Flash Player. I went to Mozilla Firefox late last night, and the Flash Player reinstalled there; it's even listed at Add/Remove Programs. However, when I use Internet Explorer, a message comes up and says "You need a current version of Flash Player"; when I try to reinstall, all that stuff I reported yesterday happens again and again, AND now I'm getting a message at almost every site on IE that "IE has closed this webpage due to a malicious addon"; so I look at all the plugins and addon and not one is different from what I've had for so long.

Something is amiss at Internet Explorer, but I don't how to fix it.

#4 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

OK, wow...
I went to www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flash.html, saved the "install_flash_player_10_active_x.exe", then ran it, and now I can view you tube/flash player againin IE. This site gave me a specific download for Internet Explorer and that's what did the trick....so many hours of reading and looking...

Thanks for your response. I believe normality is restored....

Jackiemarie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users