Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mordokwan

mordokwan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

This is my dilemma:

A computer at work is running IE7, XP Pro, SP3. Recently Last week, IE began loading with no toolbar (file, edit, view, history, bookmarks, tools or help), therefore 'right-clicking' on the toolbar and selecting 'tools' is not an option.

Also, I cannot 'right-click' to access any functions associated with that, nor can I use any DOS commands such as Ctrl+C or Ctrl+V to copy or paste. And all drop down boxes are gone. Clicking on hyper links will not load any page in another window.

I have tried writing registry values as found in various forums, deleting other values, changing the binary code to 1 in D-Word entries to make sure that the toolbar menu is active...tried Alt, Alt+Spacebar, Alt+T, or any other combination of keys, and none of them work. PLEASE do not suggest F11 either, as we all know this just hides the address bar and then restores it.

I have tried booting into safe mode, and ran scans as well, and no infections were found.

Sadly, the workstation is equipped with an enterprise version of Nortons, which found nothing either. I have also ran both Malwarebytes and Spyware Doctor to no avail.

I tried utilizing Kelly's Korner toolbar fix exe. and this did not work.

Right-clicking ANYWHERE on the top bar, only gives me the pop-up box which has 'restore', 'maximize', 'minimize', or 'close' as options to choose from.

The 'tools' button is NOT hidden, nor is it at the bottom of the screen in the lower right corner. I cannot drag any of the tooldbars at the top around to unmask anything which may be hidden.

I tried msconfig from the 'run' box, and tried resetting IE to 'best performance' with no results.

I installed another IE7, straight from Microsoft, and it did not fix the problem.

Upgrading to IE8 is not an option because it is not compatible with our software for work.

Currently, I cannot download Firefox because it will not let me download any programs. It sounds like it is blocking pop-ups, but no yellow toolbar appears giving me the option to download or install anything.

I also ran HijackThis, and the log did not contain any known viruses. It did contain a questionable one:
khalmnpr.exe which is know to be installed along side of Logitech. I did remove it, but it did not clear up the issue.

It almost feels like the computer has been infected with a virus in the form of a Linux kernel, which is shelled, and difficult to detect.

Is there a known virus, or some other issue, which I am not familiar with, which has infected the PC?

Could the person who tried to install IE8, corrupted the registry when they uninstalled IE8 to revert back to IE7?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

Hello,

For Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer, this behavior is caused by one or more corrupted values in the Windows Registry. I would not recommend messing with the Registry unless there is no other way to fix it.

To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix this problem link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard.

Fix This Problem.

Note If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD, and then you can run it on the computer that has the problem.

~Zane

#3 mordokwan

mordokwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

Zane,

Thank you, I will try this right now as I am on lunch break, and let you know if it fixes the issues.

Todd

#4 mordokwan

mordokwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Zane,

I ran the Microsoft repair tool and it did not fix the issues. Any other suggestions???

#5 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Todd,

Right click the Titlebar, the Context Menu = Menubar, to enable Classic Menubar, select View and select Classic Menu.

~Zane

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

I'm not sure if this will work, but it's something to try. I figure at this point you are willing to try anything.

Go to your control panel. Open Internet Options.
Advanced Tab.
Reset Internet Explorer Settings.

This will reset the home page to msn but you can easily change it back to whatever you prefer.

#7 mordokwan

mordokwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

Zane and Queen-Evie thanks a ton.

Zane,

At the top of IE7, after opening the browser, there is the blue bar at the ver top, and the 'blue E' representing IE, will not display any names or addresses....it simply displays the 'blue E'. The address bar seems fine, and the title bar, doesn't contain any area below the address bar to 'right-click' on or in. I have tried to click on the blue bar, and the title bar in any area that I could and the dialog box which appears only has, restore, minimize, maximize and close...so accessing the menu bar isn't an option for me :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Queen-Evie,

I went into the control panel, and the icon for internet options is completely absent/missing. Any other suggestions for accessing it?

I ran SuperAntispyware and it detected another 113 infrections, but once I cleaned them and rebooted, it did not solve the issue/s.

I've also downloaded and ran TrojanHunter and it did not find any trojans.

I've also added registry values for MenuToolbar and changed their values and then deleted them after rebooting each time, and this did not work either.

Is there a work-around for getting a decent antivirus installed around Norton's, like Panda Global or Kaspersky???

Todd

#8 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Can you take a screenshot please?

In case you don't know how:
There's a key on your keyboard called "Print Screen SysRq" or something similar. Press it, paste it in paint, save and upload it to something like Tinypic.

Edited by KonamiYoto, 30 July 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

Boot up in safe mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Access your desktop, open Internet Explorer. When the page opens (with a page cannot be displayed message)
look at the toolbar. Does it all show up in safe mode?
If it does, click on Tools/Internet Options and follow the procedure I described above to reset IE setttings.

Also another thought I had-are there other user accounts on the computer? If so, are all of them not showing the toolbar?

#10 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:41 AM

The problem can be intermittent (the toolbar/menu/address bar appears < 5% of the time), IE works fine when booting in safe mode, and that disabling all startup apps and drivers via msconfig has no effect. If it doesn't work in Safe mode, try pressing Alt again. That should do the trick.

~Zane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users