Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor turns off and on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

Borrowing a family members LCD monitor. Hooked it up last night, and having major buggy issues with it.

It's a C593 Microtek 15inch TFT LCD Monitor. Running on Windows XP SP3. This computer has used other monitors that have worked FINE.

After hooking everything up last night, the monitor turned off and on, seemed almost like it was a short in the wire..HOWEVER...you can hit the power button and it comes back on. So, I know it isn't a short. Eventually it started turning off and on every 18 seconds...for a period of 15-20 minutes. Then for a period of 2hrs it didn't shut off once, but some orange auto adjust menu kept popping up, sometimes off and on 20 times in the span of 10 seconds.

I assumed it was some power saving sort of thing, but didn't see anything. I tried updating the driver through...device manger I think it was, nothing.

I moved the entire computer into another room and had no issues. Perhaps its an outlet thing. Not sure, will def. look into that one tonight (as I'll have to move everything all over again)

Any suggestions in the meantime? Maybe there is something I'm missing with this monitor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

Borrowing a family members LCD monitor. Hooked it up last night, and having major buggy issues with it.

It's a C593 Microtek 15inch TFT LCD Monitor. Running on Windows XP SP3. This computer has used other monitors that have worked FINE.

After hooking everything up last night, the monitor turned off and on, seemed almost like it was a short in the wire..HOWEVER...you can hit the power button and it comes back on. So, I know it isn't a short. Eventually it started turning off and on every 18 seconds...for a period of 15-20 minutes. Then for a period of 2hrs it didn't shut off once, but some orange auto adjust menu kept popping up, sometimes off and on 20 times in the span of 10 seconds.

I assumed it was some power saving sort of thing, but didn't see anything. I tried updating the driver through...device manger I think it was, nothing.

I moved the entire computer into another room and had no issues. Perhaps its an outlet thing. Not sure, will def. look into that one tonight (as I'll have to move everything all over again)

Any suggestions in the meantime? Maybe there is something I'm missing with this monitor.

I'm thinking its the refresh rate that its not accept.
in XP
Right-click, properties on the desktop
Select settings tab
Hit the advanced button
Select the monitor tab
hit the box (hide modes that this monitor cannot display)
Select a new screen refresh rate
hit ok twice.
Posted Image

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Yup, I've tried that. My current refresh rate is: 60 but my choices are 60,70,72,75,85

Maybe its a driver thing? I have no idea.

Ever since I wrote this topic I've been having NO issues with it other then and adjustment screen popping up off and on for no reason. Today, I decided to check the wires in the back again now the monitor is turning off and on again. Again, seems almost like a short, except you can hit the button to turn it back on.

Also, there is no way to shut the monitor off. I have to unplug it. Hitting the button doesn't work to turn it off, but when it shuts off, hitting the button works to turn it on. This is SO annoying.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Did try the fix here: http://www.fixya.com/support/t119498-monit..._off_repeatedly seemed to work...for about 5 minutes, until we moved the monitor back on the desk, now it turns off and on again.

Edited by Kat91119, 12 August 2009 - 07:20 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

One possible cause for this symptom is leakage in the control board. Most monitors sense the input from the control buttons when different values of resistance arr switched in according to which button is being pressed. If some current leakage occurs, either in a switch, or between tracks on the small circuit board, the control microprocessor can see random inputs, which could explain why you sometimes got power on/off, sometimes menu activation.

I recently repaired a Philips monitor which had liquid trapped under one of the buttons where it sat on the circuit board, and it was getting continual popping up of the menu. One source of such liquid/leakage is from screen cleaning using too wet a cloth, allowing liquid to ooze down onto the contol board. Even a slow chemical reaction in deposits from something like this happening a long time ago can just now start to develop resistive leakage.

To confirm this a technician or similarly competent person needs to open and inspect the unit.

Edited by Platypus, 13 August 2009 - 07:52 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess anything is worth a shot, since its almost unusable with the way its been acting up lately.

I know its not the socket because the computer would be turning off and on as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users