Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this work?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ibangyetis

Ibangyetis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hey I was wondering if it's possible to put in an AMD Phenom x3 triple core processor and a new, better video card into my old computer
All I really know about my computer right now is that it's a Compaq and I'm pretty sure it's about a 2000 or 2001 model
It also runs windows xp home edition
But yeah
Is It possible to do that?
And if so, would I have o buy a new OS for my computer to run?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hey I was wondering if it's possible to put in an AMD Phenom x3 triple core processor and a new, better video card into my old computer
All I really know about my computer right now is that it's a Compaq and I'm pretty sure it's about a 2000 or 2001 model
It also runs windows xp home edition
But yeah
Is It possible to do that?
And if so, would I have o buy a new OS for my computer to run?

Thanks in advance

You shouldn't need to buy an OS. Firstly you need to check and make sure that your computer is using AMD, NOT INTEL. Personally I'd suggest you using an Athlon 64 since older motherboards will generally not be able to use the full speed of that processor.(my 2007 mobo can't use the full speed of an X4 or X3 but can use all the speed of X2) As for your graphics card, find one that has a PCI interface. You will not be able to use the fancy new expensive graphics cards mainly because PCI-Express came out in 2004.
Posted Image

#3 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

It's impossible to give you a blanket answer. We need to know the exact model of your Compaq machine.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:48 PM

I don't think your computer will take the Phenom, Athlon II, or Phenom II series of processors. Around 2000, about the time you purchased your Compaq, the socket was Socket A. Since Socket A was introduced, there have been about six or seven newer AMD sockets released. None of these sockets, with the exception of AM2/AM2+ and AM3 are compatible. In short, you need to determine which socket your motherboard uses and get a processor in that series. That is, of course, assuming your motherboard can support it. Newer processors, including some dual, triple, and quad core CPU's, will probably not work. Since your PC is so old, some newer graphics cards will work only if you have a standard PCI slot and a standard PCI graphics card. Given the age of your Compaq PC, it is suggested that, if you want a higher performing PC, you save your cash and buy or build a new PC.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users