Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

about installing another hard disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:37 AM

May i ask if possible to add another hard disk on my computer who's currently has sata hard disk already installed? Because i want to back up my files on my current hard disk to another hard disk. Please help me what i do to back up it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

May i ask if possible to add another hard disk on my computer who's currently has sata hard disk already installed? Because i want to back up my files on my current hard disk to another hard disk. Please help me what i do to back up it.

Thanks.

So long as you can fit the drive and so long as your motherboard has a SATA interface(if your installing a new SATA drive) then you should be able to install it.
Posted Image

#3 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:45 PM

I'm using ECS P4M890T-M motherboard, i tried to install a hard disk on ide together with sata hard disk but it won't work. May i know why? Can i use two sata hard disk with my motherboard? I really need to know, because i want to back up the files on the sata hard disk. That is currently i used.

Any other advise please... Thanks

#4 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

I'm using ECS P4M890T-M motherboard, i tried to install a hard disk on ide together with sata hard disk but it won't work. May i know why? Can i use two sata hard disk with my motherboard? I really need to know, because i want to back up the files on the sata hard disk. That is currently i used.

Any other advise please... Thanks

Yes you can use two sata drives with that mobo. (http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=807&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Specification&MenuID=44&LanID=0)
STORAGE
Support by VIAŽ VT8237A
4 x Ultra DMA133/100/66 devices
2 x Serial ATA devices
RAID0 & RAID1 configuration

Did you set the ide jumper to master or Channel Select? Is the hard drive the first device in the ide chain?
Posted Image

#5 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

The one that i try is add another hard disk, i put it on primary ide and i set it to primary master and i set my cd-rom to primary slave. And it don't work, because when i try to turn on the pc it won't turn on. Is this wrong? Please teach me how to put another hard disk on IDE when i have sata hard disk already installed. Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

FWIW: Newer systems/motherboards...which have only 1 IDE slot and multiple SATA connectors...allow for connection/function of both the IDE hard drive and the optical drive on the same cable...with no problems.

Older systems/motherboards with 2 or more IDE slots...on these it's probably better to put the hard drive on one cable (jumper set as Master or Cable Select), with the optical drive on a separate IDE cable (jumper set as Master or Cable Select).

I would try that.

I would also ensure that the BIOS is not set up to configure a RAID for the drives involved.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users