Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IE7 Toolbar Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mordokwan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:28 AM

My name is Todd, and I am finally posting after years of reading. I am a 3rd year computer science major, and if I can help anyone in any way, please let me know.

I attend classes full time, and work full time, so if I do not respond immediately, please be patient with me. I will not let a response go unanswered, nor leave a posting without addressing everyone who replies.

This is my dilemma:

A computer at work is running IE7, XP Pro, SP3. Recently Last week, IE began loading with no toolbar (file, edit, view, history, bookmarks, tools or help), therefore 'right-clicking' on the toolbar and selecting 'tools' is not an option.

Also, I cannot 'right-click' to access any functions associated with that, nor can I use any DOS commands such as Ctrl+C or Ctrl+V to copy or paste. And all drop down boxes are gone. Clicking on hyper links will not load any page in another window.

I have tried writing registry values as found in various forums, deleting other values, changing the binary code to 1 in D-Word entries to make sure that the toolbar menu is active...tried Alt, Alt+Spacebar, Alt+T, or any other combination of keys, and none of them work. PLEASE do not suggest F11 either, as we all know this just hides the address bar and then restores it.

I have tried booting into safe mode, and ran scans as well, and no infections were found.

Sadly, the workstation is equipped with an enterprise version of Nortons, which found nothing either. I have also ran both Malwarebytes and Spyware Doctor to no avail.

I tried utilizing Kelly's Korner toolbar fix exe. and this did not work.

Right-clicking ANYWHERE on the top bar, only gives me the pop-up box which has 'restore', 'maximize', 'minimize', or 'close' as options to choose from.

The 'tools' button is NOT hidden, nor is it at the bottom of the screen in the lower right corner. I cannot drag any of the tooldbars at the top around to unmask anything which may be hidden.

I tried msconfig from the 'run' box, and tried resetting IE to 'best performance' with no results.

I installed another IE7, straight from Microsoft, and it did not fix the problem.

Upgrading to IE8 is not an option because it is not compatible with our software for work.

Currently, I cannot download Firefox because it will not let me download any programs. It sounds like it is blocking pop-ups, but no yellow toolbar appears giving me the option to download or install anything.

It sounds almost like a Linux kernel virus has infected a Windows based system, thus it cannot be detected.

Is there a known virus, or a new virus which I am not familiar with, which has infected the PC?

Could the person who tried to install IE8, corrupted the registry when they uninstalled IE8 to revert back to IE7?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:32 AM

Hi mordokwan.Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:
May I suggest you Copy your Dilemma,and post in the "Am I infected" Forum.
You will likely recieve help,quicker.

#3 mordokwan

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users