Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Klone virus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 davecropp

davecropp

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:01 AM

Would really appreciate any help or ideas what could be going on here.

Me and my friends have been having trouble with the klone virus. We all use AVG and have it up to date. It seemed strange that we all got it more or less at the same time and I wasn't sure if it had been passed round on a memory stick. The suspect device was scanned and found to be clean. Two of the computers got so bad that we reformatted windows back to the original day they were bought. The other one (mine) appears to be stable after many scans with avg - malwarebytes anti malware and super anti spyware.

One of them was a laptop running vista. It got so bad as windows explorer was closing down and re starting every minute or so. After resetting I installed avg from a disk after downloading from another (clean) computer. Now this may be where the problem lies. At this stage it was only protected by windows fire wall. You used to be able to get virus updates on another computer and transfer them without going on the net, but I can't seem to find how to do this anymore. Iwould have put a better firewall on , probably zone alarm but the same thing seems to happen here. I have to go on to the net to download. Any way what happened was as soon as I plugged in my network cable up jumped avg to say we were infected with the klone virus and the whole thing started shutting things down again eg windows explorer as stopped working - something else has stopped working. Now I'm not certain if I had plugged the memory stick in again at some stage. The other thing is I'm thinking that I maybe should have installed Vista service pack 1 and 2 before i connected. It's very frustrating however. The third computer seems to be working ok after reset. This one is XP and I got all the service packs on before connecting.

Any guidance from anyone who has experience with this virus would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users