Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS's Excell

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can answer this question without the difficulty that our friend Bill Gates seems to like to bestow on us when making "Intuitive" programing!!!
I'm trying to do a Budget on Excel and when I go to "SUM" the differences between Income and Expenses it does just that - ADDS them. I'm trying to get it to subtract and it adds, every single #$%^^&* time. I've going through the complete programing and I can't "Intuit" - find anything that will turn it's "SUM", (which apparently also includes subtraction) to S U B T R A C T. This happens to me every time I try to make a budget. Then it all of a sudden subtracts for no apparent reason leaving me dumb founded as to how someone can end up the %&^$#*@$# richest man in the world on such "Intuitive" programing that he can't even make it easy enough to find a S U B T R A C T I O N function. AGHHHHH!!!!

Well I "Imagine" that trying to figure out how Bill Gates ended up the richest man in the world will be at least as frustrating as to try to figure out how to do a
S U B T R A C T I O N formula in Excel. However, instead of wasting another hour to forever on that how about if someone Enlighten me as to how to do the
S U B T R A C T I O N formula in Excel so that we can go back to thinking positive thoughts toward the richest man in the world, Bill Gates. You know the simple reason you use a computer in the first place, to do the calculations for you - a
S U B T R A C T I O N formula for a budget in Excel. Anyone, please. Thank you.

Sincerely,

John :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by Johnz414, 11 July 2005 - 10:17 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:30 PM

If you want to use SUM, then make sure the cells involved will go negative.
Sum -50 and 100 will yield 50.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 MartyGeek

MartyGeek

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:20 AM

Scrap the SUM function, and simply type:

=Income-Expenses

so, if Income was in cell A4, and Expenses is in B4, simply type:

=A4-B4

A4 may contain a formula such as =SUM(A1:A3), to add Income, and B4 may contain a formula such as =SUM(B1:B3) to add Expenses.

Am I totally off the mark on this, or what? May be just my weariness kicking in...

M :thumbsup:

#4 jimras

jimras

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:01 AM

Most of the time that I do spereadsheets, I just put the command right into the cell by doing the following:

highlight the cell where you want your answer to be by clicking on it and then type in the "=" sign (without quotes). then click on the cell to subtract FROM. Then type in the "-" (minus) sign, and then click on the cell with number to subtract.

Example: to subtract cell D5 from cell A8

type in (without quotes) "=A8-D5"

Then hit enter to do the math

Edited by jimras, 17 July 2005 - 08:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users