Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new overheating problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

my vid card has played just about every games i have with very little or no probs (i.e.: fps drops, the usual stuff) recently i bought RCT3 and the expansion and a new problem arose... this isnt the usual stuff anymore. while playing RCT3 for an hour i start seeing HUGE black walls blocking half the park, and if i'm zoomed out a brown shroud covers the entire park. all i had was a heatsink on it till just a few months ago when i chilled my comp with 4 extra fans. one of those fans are on my vid cards heatsink. i know its better to get a whole new comp altogether and ditch the dell, but why not make the best out of things while u can? i will post pictures soon, btw they are very low quality cuz i bought the webcam like 6 years ago, when USB 1.1 was at its peak.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:16 PM

also i should also tell you that i can play Doom3 at the lowest quality for a good 3hrs... why in the heck cant i play RCT3 for that long?!?!?!?!?!? *wants to throw comp out of 4th story window*

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:22 PM

got pics up...

IN FANS

CPU setup

FAN ON GPU

like I said very low quality

- Rick Cook

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

Are you sure its an overheating problem and not corrupted video card driverS?

or just a broken video card

#5 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:49 PM

my vid card has played just about every games i have with very little or no probs (i.e.: fps drops, the usual stuff) recently i bought RCT3 and the expansion and a new problem arose... this isnt the usual stuff anymore. while playing RCT3 for an hour i start seeing HUGE black walls blocking half the park, and if i'm zoomed out a brown shroud covers the entire park. all i had was a heatsink on it till just a few months ago when i chilled my comp with 4 extra fans. one of those fans are on my vid cards heatsink. i know its better to get a whole new comp altogether and ditch the dell, but why not make the best out of things while u can? i will post pictures soon, btw they are very low quality cuz i bought the webcam like 6 years ago, when USB 1.1 was at its peak.

Can you post your computer specs? Like what type video card you are using and how much memory you have installed etc... :thumbsup:

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:08 AM

Dear lego,

Also, tell us how big your power supply is?

When it comes to overheating there are three components you should consider.

1. The CPU- With your Northwood CPU that heatsink and fan you have is too small. What happened to your shroud? Even the temporary Intel heatsink and fan are bigger.

2. The Hard Drives- This is where most don't have the proper cooling. One 80mm fan is not enough for gamers. In my gamer I have a 120mm cooling both the drives with high flow case fans exhausting. Air flow is the most important factor.

3. The Video Card- Most companies could care less if your card works when hot and include a cheap fan to try. In all my computers I run a Vantec Fan Card one space from my vid card. It pushes massive air and for $20 it is the best investment I have ever made.

It concerns me that you are only able to play Doom 3 for three hours at the lowest setting. Thats telling me your hard drives are overheating or not getting enough voltage-hence a power supply overheat.

If you are not willing to upgrade or financially stressed, you could do forced air cooling. This is where you open the side panel or case cover and place a box fan on high next your computer.

Not the best idea but your computer will not fail playing your games. Unless there are other problems besides heating.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#7 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:22 AM

i have all the newest and updated drivers. my shroud is there i just moved it to show where the fan is. and the symptoms apparently stop when i open my case. so i know its a definite heating pproblem. i have a 250watt PSU (somebody needs to teach dell a lesson in computer building). are you sure it can also be my HD? there is only so much space in this stinkin dell case. i need to pick up some rounded IDE wires. but am financially stressed (cool phrase junkdk). donations anyone? lol

- Rick Cook

#8 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:25 AM

i have properly read your post junkdk, and my power supply can also be the suspect? darn it, looks like i have to convince my dad to get a whole new case.

- Rick Cook

#9 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:15 AM

If you can't start building a new PC, i'd go to Thermaltake's or vantec's site and look into a nice big cooling fan. A large cooling fan on the processor will assist in airflow. I think I have a 300w PSU lying in my spare parts closet...... but I dunno what that'll do for you.

:thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#10 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:49 PM

i have done some research and found that rounded wires are the cheapest, then from that i'll try to get a possibly 80mm fan on my P4, and a new heatsink/fan combo for my vid card... i still need donations!!! jk

- Rick Cook

#11 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:31 AM

Dear Lego,

250 watt power supply? There is your problem or one of them. My friend, I am surprised you can play Doom 3 at all. The graphics take huge amounts of space and speed. Which will cause an increase need of power and serious heat!

Even when I was running a 380 watt Antec power supply I was getting all sorts of problems running Doom 3.

I am trying to think how I can increase your computer to play these type of games but the power supply is real important.

Hell, some gamers run dual powers supply's just to support their vid cards.

It's insane and I am no where near the mega gamers rig.

I would hold off on those round cables, while they do increase airflow and information flow it will be not noticed to your current rig.

Save your money. I would use the box fan method. Dell makes shoddy computers anyway. Unless you pay for their gamers computer, even then the case stinks.

I would take information from all you read here at bleepers and buy a little at a time. Sure it may take some time but you will be a lot happier. And if you do it right you will be able to upgrade for cheap.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#12 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:11 AM

No offense to anyone who owns a Dell, but even their Gamer PCs aren't too great.... This is my opinion tho...

I like Dell... for the office I work in.

I agree with junk, buy piece by piece. That's how I started with my first self build, and i'll bet if you ask others that's how they started.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#13 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

i would really love to do piece by piece but moneys tight like a tiger (goldmember lol) i have figured out how to increase the airflow in my computer by using the funky little green clips that Dell so kindly put in. the airflow has been increasd by alot. much cooler air is coming out of my PC.

Edited by legoman786, 13 July 2005 - 09:38 PM.

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users