Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer completely blind to router cord

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 toddly

toddly

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:19 AM

I have a linksys wireless router that I have plugged into an Inspiron 8100. I want the computer to connect to the internet like the other laptops on the wireless network. As far as I can tell, the Inspiron doesn't have a wireless capability, so I'd just like to connect via a cable attached to one of the router ports. Unfortunately, XP does not provide any way to add a computer to an existing home network. The only options are to set up a network (I don't want to set it up again; it was already hard enough to get all the wireless computers connected), to connect to a work network, to change my internet service provoder or settings, and to change my firewall. It gives me no option or Wizard for simply adding a new computer. All I want is to be able to find where to type in the WEP password so that this computer can get online. But no matter how many days I search (four so far), I cannot find where I to enter this info. I also do not understand why the computer does not acknowledge the Linksys router. Oddly though, the network host computer does see the Inspiron computer, but says it is offline. Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

You are correct the Inspiron 8100 doesn't have built in wireless. You would need to buy a PCMCIA Wireless adapter(just an example)

WEP is a wireless encryption and is not an issue for a wired laptop.

you do not need to add the laptop to the network unless you are going to share files. You should just plug it into a port on the router and into the ethernet port on the back or side of the laptop and reboot. It should pick up an IP address and you're all set.

If this isn't the case then you need to check that the ethernet adapter is installed with the correct drivers and then see if you have it set to get an IP address automatically.

Checking device manager
  • Hold down the windows key and type the pause/break key
  • Click the Hardware tab
  • Click the Device Manager button
  • In the list look for any yellow !, specifically under Network adapters
  • If there are none then move on to checking the IP address
  • If there are yellow ! you'll want to get the drivers for these devices off the Dell web site.
  • Normally on the bottom is a service tag sticker, enter that at the Dell Support site and get the proper drivers.
Checking the IP address
There are a couple ways to do this but I will take you where you can change it just in case
  • Goto Control panel
  • Double click Network Connections
  • Right click the Local Area Connection
  • Click Properties
  • In the list click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
  • Below and to the right click the Properties button
  • There should be a dot beside Obtain an IP address automatically and below that Obtain a DNS server address automatically
  • If there wasn't put them there and click OK
  • Click Close on the next screen
  • If you made changes, reboot the laptop
See if that gets you online. If you want to do file/printer sharing, we can help with that but get online first.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users