Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot. Really need some advice please.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

Hey guys, I really need to pick at your brains a little bit with this one. I use my computer to make a living and I'm pretty much stuck. So any information or ideas anyone might have would be greatly appreciated :inlove:
The Problem: :trumpet:
So the other day my girl and I were rearranging the room. Moving the computer, we just unplugged everything and slid the desk across the room while leaving the tower on top of it. So worn out at the end of the day we bought an extended Ethernet cable for the computer, some delicious snacks and a couple of cold drinks. When we arrived home we got all relaxed and ready to watch a new movie on the PC. I smiled at my girl, reached over and hit power, the computer buzzes to life, but nothing came up. Important notes: The computer sounds exactly the same as it always does except for now there is no longer the beep that always happens before boot up. There are also NO ERROR beeps coming from any devises. So there are absolutely no beeps at all. Nothing at all ever comes up on the monitor.. the light just blinks and doesn't pick up a signal from the PC. I noticed all the fans still work and everything seems to be running fine except the CD/DVD ROM. The DVD drive doesn't light up and it will not open. Maybe a power supply issue? So overall, I hit power, the computer turns on, nothing happens and the DVD ROM wont open. BLEEPING COMPUTERS!!
What I've tried: :flowers:
I've tried to boot the computer with the bare minimum stuff plugged in (Power cord & Video Card). I don't have an on board video card, but I switched the video card out and the same problem persisted. I also tried changing the monitor, moving the computer back to where it was (hah, had to try), re-seating everything back into the MB, swapping the RAM out, disconnected the DVD ROM from the MB and power supply, and I even took the BIOS(or is it the CMOS) battery out of the MB for 15 min. and putting it back in. At this point it's late at night and I need to get some sleep, so here I am looking to you guys.
The Solution: :thumbsup:
This is where you guys come in.. lol I know I didn't switch the power supply or processor out yet and I really hoped I didn't need to get into that :\ All I did was turn the computer off disconnect it and reconnect it! I've had no problems with the machine lately so I keep thinking there has to be something small I'm missing. Though in the back of my mind I hear an evil voice whispering "the motherboard, the power supply or the processor". I have someone coming into town tomorrow and they said they will pick me up an upgraded version of my MB for $80 or so. Think I should go ahead and spend the money and hope it helps? I know it couldn't hurt, but the economy is killing me. Anyway, thank you for reading my long post and I'd GREATLY appreciate any advice or ideas you guys could give me. I'll check back here tomorrow with my fingers crossed. Thank you in advance! :cool:
Colin

What I have now that you might need to know:
MB = GIGABYTE M57SLI-S4 AM2 NFORCE 570
Processor = AMD X2 4200 AM2 CPU
Power Supply = NZXT PF-500 2.0 PSU
Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:33 PM

HHHMMMM, You didn't offer to share the delicious snacks and cold drinks but I'll offer an opinion anywho.

I have 2 different lists of power supplies rated from good to bad.
The NZXT falls in the same cayagory on both lists, & it's not good,

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

A power supply can appear to work [make the fans spin] & still be bad.
I would replace the power supply & hope the motherboard hasn't been fried.

If you replace the PSU & it still doesn't come on the motherboard is bad also.
I wouldn't hook that [NZXT] power supply to a new motherboard !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

HHHMMMM, You didn't offer to share the delicious snacks and cold drinks but I'll offer an opinion anywho.

I have 2 different lists of power supplies rated from good to bad.
The NZXT falls in the same cayagory on both lists, & it's not good,

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

A power supply can appear to work [make the fans spin] & still be bad.
I would replace the power supply & hope the motherboard hasn't been fried.

If you replace the PSU & it still doesn't come on the motherboard is bad also.
I wouldn't hook that [NZXT] power supply to a new motherboard !

Thanks for the advice Joe. You can come by and pick up the snacks and drinks because I was too sad to enjoy them, BUT the drinks are warm now and might not be worth it lol. Anyway, it's good to know that my PS sucks because now I have some hope for the MB. So what I'll do before buying the new MB is swap out the PS and see if that fixes it. If not then I'll change the MB too. Let me ask you though... if I change the power supply with a borrowed one and it doesn't work and I have to change the MB, Then would I STILL have to buy a new power supply as well anyway?? So I guess my question really is "Could it be dangerous to use the same PS with a new MB?". I know I'm late on replying here, but I hope you or someone is still around. Thanks again!
Colin
P.S. Almost forgot to ask! Does anyone have any advice on a good but not too expensive Power supply that would work with my system? I'm not sure what I am supposed to look for when picking a PS to make sure it is ok to use with my setup. Again, any help is much appreciated! :thumbsup:

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

Visually inspect the motherboard.
Look at the capacitors carefully
If none have domed/bulging tops or are leaking & the motherboard is bad I wouldn't risk another motherboard with the same power supply.

For an example of bad capacitors read this thread,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/243861/bad-capacitator-in-my-computer/

Now, about using a different power supply to teast your computer,

If the power supply is strong enough to run the computer it can be used.

If you have a video card that requires a power connector a weak power supply may not have enough juice to start it BUT it wouldn;t hurt to try it.
[A weak power supply would be a 180 Watt PSU out of a HP or other "brand name" ]

As for a PSU recommendation,

What brand & model is your video card ?
Do tou intend to do any upgrading in the near future ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

Visually inspect the motherboard.
Look at the capacitors carefully
If none have domed/bulging tops or are leaking & the motherboard is bad I wouldn't risk another motherboard with the same power supply.

For an example of bad capacitors read this thread,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/243861/bad-capacitator-in-my-computer/

Now, about using a different power supply to test your computer,

If the power supply is strong enough to run the computer it can be used.

If you have a video card that requires a power connector a weak power supply may not have enough juice to start it BUT it would;t hurt to try it.
[A weak power supply would be a 180 Watt PSU out of a HP or other "brand name" ]

As for a PSU recommendation,

What brand & model is your video card ?
Do tou intend to do any upgrading in the near future ?

Here I am with another late reply, sorry it's busy over here. Thanks again for your info. Tomorrow I'll examine the MB more closely and see if it's visibly shot. As for the power supply, I'm not sure what I'm gonna have to test with until my friend gets here with it. I'll check to make sure it is at least as strong as my current one though. As for my Video card... I can't think of exactly off hand, but it's a pretty good GEFORCE 8200 or 8900 PCIE I believe and yeah it does require it's own power connector. I wont be doing any unneeded upgrades because money is tight right now, but I have no choice but to replace the stuff that needs to be replaced and those things will probably be upgraded a bit. Thanks so much again. I have kids running circles around my desk and I can't think straight so I'm sorry if any of this didn't make sense! LOL

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

"I'm not sure what I'm gonna have to test with until my friend gets here with it. I'll check to make sure it is at least as strong as my current one though."

If it is 400 watts or above it should have enough juice to start it unless it's a really bad power supply !

I have a hard time just making recommendations.
What price range are you thinking ?

#7 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

The power supply that was brought over to test with is only 300 watts so I'm probably definatly gonna have to go buy one. Maybe today I'll pick one up. Looking at the computer parts and their prices it looks like they charged me $50 for the NZXT PF-500 2.0 but that was 2 years ago. By the way what does PF stand for? Does PF-500 mean 500 watts? I always assumed so. Stupid question but I might as well ask while I have your help:) Ok so anyways, I'd probably like to keep the price range around $50. I'm hurting for money really bad right now so I don't need a really great one, just one that is cheap but dependable ya know? I really hope that the power supply is the problem! Today I'll probably be doing most of the work like checking the MB closely and stuff. So check back and I'll keep ya updated on the progress and let ya know what the end result is. Once again, thank you soo much for all your help!! :thumbsup:
Colin

#8 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:07 PM

Hey Joe, my girl surprised me by telling me to grab a $100 power supply while we were at best buy! I was sad to see that it didn't solve the problem though:( I'm bumbed because I need this machine in order to work and make money! Anyway, I didn't have the power supply list on me so I took a gamble and bought what looked good and that was the Thermaltake TR2 Cable Management 550Watts. For a $100 and a 5 year warrenty I figured I couldn't go wrong! Now I see that it's on the tier 4 list. Hmm at least it's not on the bad list though lol. I figure better and more expensive power supplies MUST be for crazy sound cards and other things I don't know about that take tuns of power, correct? Well I'm sure this will be a fine one for me. Now I need to dig for money and think about what MB to get. Thanks again bud!
Colin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users