Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan virus and/or spyware not allowing me to open or install any programs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 g0tvtec

g0tvtec

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

I have Windows XP. I currently cannot install any program. When I open up a program, it asks me what application I would like to use to open the program. I can choose one of the selected programs to open the program itself(I hope that makes sense), however that is the only way I can open a program. I cannot install anything at the moment. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance guys. It's been such a horrible week for me...

I would like to mention that I still have a Trojan virus on my computer along with Spyware. To make matters worse, whenever I click on a link from a search engine, I am directed to a different site via Spyware, so therefore I cannot search for any fixes for my problem. Im not very computer savvy.

Edited by g0tvtec, 23 July 2009 - 11:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:33 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Please do the following from Safe mode:

First how to get to Safe Mode

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to zztoy.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click zztoy.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Computer Pro

#3 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

I am subscribed. Thanks bro, I will try this out tonight when I get off work. Hopefully it works.

#4 CPU Brain

CPU Brain

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

look if u can fix that u will need some programs but in ur case u can't install any thing so i think the fastest way to fix that is the format ;)

#5 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

No, they are probably going to be able to install out of Safe mode.
Computer Pro

#6 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

I tried running my computer in safe mode and installing the program but I am still having the same problem. I still cannot install any programs...

I really don't want to format my harddrive. I would rather buy another computer at this point. It is 4 years old.

Edited by g0tvtec, 28 July 2009 - 10:32 PM.

#7 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
Now click on Scan Settings
In the scan settings make sure that the following are selected:
o Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
o Scan Options:
Scan Archives
Scan Mail Bases
Click OK
Now under select a target to scan:
Select My Computer
This will program will start and scan your system.
The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
o Now click on the Save as Text button:
Save the file to your desktop.
Copy and paste that information in your next post.
Computer Pro

#8 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

The trojan has disabled the internet onmy pc. I decided to ge a new pc and it will be here on friday. I have backed up all of my files on an external HDD. What procedure should i take when transferring these files onto my new pc to prevent it from infecting my new pc? Should i install AVG free virus scanner and scan my entire external HDD before uploading it onto my the internal HDD?

#9 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

To help prevent reinfection, you should only backup personal documents, and no program files. Also do not backup any files ending in .exe, .com, .html, etc.

Before you transfer any of the files, make sure to scan them with malwarebytes and AVG to make sure that there is no infection before you transfer the files onto the internal HDD.
Computer Pro

#10 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

If i do a scan and no virus is detected, why shouldnt i transfer any exe doc or html files?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

Since the infection was not identified, there's a possibility you had a file infector which makes any saved executables, drivers etc extrememly dangerous to have archived.

But there's another danger, many drives get infected with an autorun.inf which will execute as soon as the drive is connected to the new computer.

To stop that you need to immunize the new computer with sub's flash disinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Then scan the drive with AVG and the Kasp online scanner

Unless you want to be trying to fix that new computer
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

Ok I will do so. Thanks for the heads up.

Since the infection was not identified, there's a possibility you had a file infector which makes any saved executables, drivers etc extrememly dangerous to have archived.

But there's another danger, many drives get infected with an autorun.inf which will execute as soon as the drive is connected to the new computer.

To stop that you need to immunize the new computer with sub's flash disinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Then scan the drive with AVG and the Kasp online scanner

Unless you want to be trying to fix that new computer

#13 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:00 AM

Would anybody like to provide anymore advice that i should take to prevent my new pc from being infected by my backed up files?

Another question. How can i format my old pc without being able to open up any programs? I have a copy of windows xp but cannot go on with installation because i cannot open or install any programs.

#14 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

You can post in the Windows XP forum, and they would be glad to help you with the reformatting process.
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users