Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I be worried about this?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

I know a clicking noise usually means somethings wrong with the hard drive but I just replaced it a month ago and everything else works just fine.

Its only happends now 3 times in a few days and only after the pc's been running for a few minutes (few minutes after turning it on and going about my usual stuff). It only happens for a split second and for the rest of the day I never hear it again.

The computer itself is over 3 years old so just wondering if it could be something else. Its a Gateway laptop and the hard drive is a Seagate 120GB 5400RPM.

Edited by wildcat2000, 23 July 2009 - 08:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

If the new hard drive is making a clicking sound return it for replacement.
That noise isn't known as "the click of death" because it fixes itself. :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:59 AM

If the new hard drive is making a clicking sound return it for replacement.
That noise isn't known as "the click of death" because it fixes itself. :thumbsup:

Sooo, its NOT the click of death? So I dont have to worry about a hard drive failure or Blue Screen? I dont think I can return it, besides it would mean going through a bunch of other things that I wont get into, plus prior to all this I didnt have my pc for months and Ive barely gotten back on track.

So as long as its not dying (its not dying is it?) I dont mind it.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:04 AM

Yes, it quite possibly IS the "click of death". If you can't take it back, at least back up everything, and continue on a regular basis so when it goes out you won't lose anything. Or not much anyway.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

You could always run a diagnostic on the drive, if you are concerned over it's likelihood of failure.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I would also ensure that the connections to the drive are secure.

Louis

#6 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

You could always run a diagnostic on the drive, if you are concerned over it's likelihood of failure.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I would also ensure that the connections to the drive are secure.

Louis

I don't know which of those programs Im supposed to use. The Seagate links say they are for partioning and formatting but I dont need that, I mean thats already done obviously.

Is thier really a program that will tell me if theres something physically wrong with my drive? I turned on my pc about 20mins ago and so far I have not heard the noise. Usually, the few times its happened, Id hear it after a few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users