Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS

PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

i have been trying to do a system restore

i get a messsage that says :

system restore is unable to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run system restore again.

i tried and the same thing happens.

i tried to do it in safemode and i get the same message as well.

i have avast 4.8
ccleaner
zone alarm
hi jack this

winxp 2002 sp2

ivebeen running my scans and even did a disc cleaner and defrag today thinking maybe i didnt have enough space..??
(trying everything) but that isnt a problem for me

any help is greatly needed and appreciated!!

Mod Edit: Topic moved from AII to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 23 July 2009 - 07:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hello,I have a few suggestions...

First ... Clear all Points
This will erase all the existing points. This may also free up space in that folder and that may also cause this.

Use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
Click Yes, then click Ok.
Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.[/list]

Create a New Restore point:•Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
•Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Second..If still no joy.
This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Go to Start » Run and type: regedit
Click OK.
On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
Go up to File » Export
Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
Under "Filename" put RegBackup.
Choose to save it to C:\
Click save and then go to File » Exit.

Or you can download and use ERUNTwhich is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #278 on left side and click Restore/Enable System Restore - (Not UNDO) Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save sysrestoreenable.reg to your desktop. Double-click on that file to allow the script to run and reboot when done. Since the script modifies certain registry settings your anti-virus package may warn you about it. Ignore the warning and allow it to run.

Edited by boopme, 23 July 2009 - 09:47 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

Why is it that you are trying to do a system restore?

Does it let you get to where you pick a date to restore to or does it give you that message when you first open the program?

#4 PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS

PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

Hello,I have a few suggestions...

First ... Clear all Points
This will erase all the existing points. This may also free up space in that folder and that may also cause this.

Use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
Click Yes, then click Ok.
Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.[/list]

Create a New Restore point:•Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
•Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Second..If still no joy.
This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Go to Start » Run and type: regedit
Click OK.
On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
Go up to File » Export
Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
Under "Filename" put RegBackup.
Choose to save it to C:\
Click save and then go to File » Exit.

Or you can download and use ERUNTwhich is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Click on the link below:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Scroll down to #278 on left side and click Restore/Enable System Restore - (Not UNDO) Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save [b]sysretoreenable.reg/b] to your desktop. Double-click on that file to allow the script to run and reboot when done. Since the script modifies certain registry settings your anti-virus package may warn you about it. Ignore the warning and allow it to run.

hi thankyou for your fast reply
i think i hit something bad on your answer to me....??
i clicked on the first quote and it turned red ???

i tried what you have suggested and i think i may have messed up
i ran #278 and then saved to my desktop .
(its a green registry lookin icon)
then i hit run and then rebooted when it was done

but nothing happened.
still no system restore showing up

i left clicked on the icon to see if maybe it didnt run and it no longer says to run
it now says ::
merge
edit
print
scan etc etc etc

is this supposed to be merged?
could this maybe why it didnt work for me?

i just noticed as well that you said to save it as [b]sysretoreenable.reg/b]
im assuming the letter b doesnt need to be written in?
but the .reg i did not write in either..oops.....what should i do now?

im waiting for you so i dont make a bigger mess of things
thankyou!

ALSO FOR STANGS QUESTION
no i cant get to anywhere on system restore this msg box pops up

Edited by PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS, 23 July 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

Hello, yes there was a bracket missing.. I now edited the post. did you backup with the first or Erunt/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS

PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

Hello, yes there was a bracket missing.. I now edited the post. did you backup with the first or Erunt/

i did do a backup not with erunt
it is saved on my computer
but i dont know what to do with it now or what to do with the new one on my desktop?

thankyou for helping me!

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

Ok follow these instructions to restore the files,Erunt's restore tutorial.
Using ERDNT

EDit The Merge choice should be used ..Also the typo isn't really important as it's just the name of the file shown to click OK to..

Edited by boopme, 24 July 2009 - 02:56 PM.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Is System Restore even turned on?

If so, have you tried just turning it off, rebooting, then turning it back on?

Btw, I do not believe there is anything you can do to be able to use it to return the computer to a previous state now, but atleast you can get it so you can use it in the furture

Edited by Stang777, 24 July 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

You can also try to "reinstall" SR by browsing to the c:\windows\inf folder, finding the sr.inf file, right click, Install.

This will delete all but the current restore point.

You may be asked for a couple files from Windows XP installation CD, so insert it if you have it :thumbsup: and point the Install to the XP installation CD.

If you do not have the XP installation CD, the requested files are probably already on your system in the DLLCACHE, or SERVICEPACKFILES folders - where they are depends, but they are most likely there since it was installed at one time.

If the Install complains about a missing file(s), just stop on for minute, use Search to find the files on your HDD as they are requested, change the Install browse window appropriately to point to the requested files and continue until it finishes.

You will be prompted to reboot, so do it and try again.

Edited by joseibarra, 25 July 2009 - 07:03 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#10 PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS

PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

well i think i have a bigger mess
i do not have a windows folder in my c drive
i even tried by unhiding everything thinking maybe that was why and still no windows folder

i searched for windows in files and folders and it brought up 8 folders that are from c:1386

i searched for erunt and nothing is found

also my backup was not done with erunt if that matters i dont know but i dont have a windows folder or erunt file so i guess that doesnt matter now anyway.

as far as the sys restore and checking the turn off sys restore
it will not allow me to do it
first it says the typical: are you sure you want to do this...
i hit yes

then it says : sys restore has encountered an error trying to enable\disable one or more drivers. please restart your machine and try again.

i did try to reboot it anyway to see if it would work and still nothing on the sys restore.

i did see in the hidden folders and files a system volume folder and it had two system restore folders in it
one says created 9 /1/08 had a bunch of stuff in it (i probably havent restored since way back then so it could be what we need ?????) and the other was a smaller folder created yesterday
is a this good sign that may help??

i am afraid to stick the windows cd in cuz i have heard stories where ppl lose everything by doing that.
im not too bright being a blonde and all lol

what should i do now??

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

How silly of me to assume that your Windows installation was in C:\WINDOWS.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%systemroot%

click OK and Explorer will open in the folder where Windows is installed. %windir% will also work.

Mine says C:\WINDOWS - what does yours say?

While you are in this folder with hidden files and folders displayed, just see if you see the inf folder out there. Don't do anything yet, just see if it is there. There should be a lot of folders out there (more than 8).

I would say you are typing in the error messages you see, but may not be typing them exactly and it is important to do so. You don't have to type every single word you see, but try to be accurate. Sys is not the same as System, drives is not the same as drivers... The exact words can prevent looking in the wrong places for things :thumbsup:

Are you using your afflicted PC to communicate here or a different PC?

Did you ever answer Stang777 about why you are trying to do a System Restore in the first place? If you have another problem, it might be more important to fix that first and worry about System Restore later.

Does your afflicted PC have access to the Internet for downloading? I am thinking another malware scanner besides your Avast may be in order.

Please report back and we can see what to do next.

It is encouraging that you actually have an XP installation CD - a lot of people don't.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#12 PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS

PULLINGoutmyEYEBROWS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

How silly of me to assume that your Windows installation was in C:\WINDOWS.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%systemroot%

click OK and Explorer will open in the folder where Windows is installed. %windir% will also work.

Mine says C:\WINDOWS - what does yours say?

While you are in this folder with hidden files and folders displayed, just see if you see the inf folder out there. Don't do anything yet, just see if it is there. There should be a lot of folders out there (more than 8).

I would say you are typing in the error messages you see, but may not be typing them exactly and it is important to do so. You don't have to type every single word you see, but try to be accurate. Sys is not the same as System, drives is not the same as drivers... The exact words can prevent looking in the wrong places for things :thumbsup:

Are you using your afflicted PC to communicate here or a different PC?

Did you ever answer Stang777 about why you are trying to do a System Restore in the first place? If you have another problem, it might be more important to fix that first and worry about System Restore later.

Does your afflicted PC have access to the Internet for downloading? I am thinking another malware scanner besides your Avast may be in order.

Please report back and we can see what to do next.

It is encouraging that you actually have an XP installation CD - a lot of people don't.

when i pull up the %systemroot% or the %windir% both pull up the same thing
mines says WINNT and there is nothing named windows at all
i might be wrong but i think a tech actually renamed that folder back when they helped me get the stupid upgrade sp3 off my computer
he renamed something

i did find the inf folder in there though

sorry about not putting the exact words
isee what you mean now

1st the msg box for trying to uncheck system restore that will not allow me to do says:
system restore encountered an error trying to enable/disable one or more drives.
please restat your machine and try again
it still doesnt work

yes im using the computer i am having the problem with

i was wanting to do a system restore because i had uninstalled a bunch of programs i wasnt using anymore to give me more space
i freed up 2/3rds of my harddrive

also i have two addres bars so i figured i would get rid of one of the two
i assumed one was google and deleted that folder
the other is a AskBarDis but because it has zone alarm icon in it i did not delete it
google folder is empty but i still have 2 address bars
the problem is my inernet is hanging badly now or i have to close it to rety to get the connection
that is why i wanted to do the restore

i do have internet access
i can dl
i did also a malware bytes scan and saved the logfile
i also have hijack this as well if that is needed

thankyu for your patience with me

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

Good job.

The default installation folder for Windows XP is C:\WINDOWS.
The default installation folder for Windows versions before XP is C:\WINNT.

These can be changed when the product is installed based on the preferences and reasons known only to the installer. You said a tech renamed the folder and must have had some reason for doing do. Maybe the tech installed XP on a system that already had Windows 2000 - who knows, but I digress...

Lets make sure what you have exactly. On your Desktop, right click My Computer, Properties. Under the System information on my system I see:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

What does yours say?

What are the highlights of the labeling on your XP installation CD?

You found the INF folder which is good now that we are looking in the right place.

If I saw the message you are seeing, I would go through the reinstall steps using the sr.inf file I mentioned (don't do it yet).

If you do the sr.inf reinstall, all Restore Points but the current one will be removed. Since it is already broken, that may not be a problem.

You said you uninstalled a bunch of programs to get more space (and did), but there is no good reason to do a System Restore after that.

Your System Restore is broken and needs to be fixed, but it will not help you recover space as some sort of a final "clean up" step after removing programs. There is no need to use SR after uninstalling unused programs. There are reasons to run SR, but that isn't one of them. It is important to understand that.

It seems I say this at least once a day to somebody: System Restore is not a time machine and it is not a magic wand you can just tap on your computer when things go wrong.

SR is sometimes the first thing people think they need to do when things go wrong. To me, it is pretty close to the last thing to do to try to solve a problem. Personally, I have never used a Restore Point for anything (yet) :thumbsup:

So your listed problems are:

Two address bars:

I am not sure what that means. Is that in your Web Browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox) or do you mean the taskbar usually located at the bottom of your screen? There is a way to post screenshots here, but I don't know how. That is often very helpful to see what you are seeing. Maybe Stang777 or boopme can tell us how to do that.

Internet is hanging badly:

"Slow Internet" and "My Internet is not as fast as I think it should be" are very subjective. That is different than, it used to be pretty fast and now for some reason it is very slow and sometimes has problems.

Can you think back to when it was okay and what happened between then and now? What was installed?

This is one of those things where a System Restore will not help you with (see above).

You said you have ZoneAlarm so that is the first thing I would look at. Do you think this started happening after ZA was installed? Why did you install ZA? It may need some adjustments.

You can still get on the Internet and download, so that is really very encouraging.

You said you ran MBAM (malwarebytes), so that means you downloaded it, updated it with current definitions (right?) and ran a scan, so as long as you let it fix everything and it runs without complaining afterwards, that is also good. MBAM is a respected scanning tool.

Sometimes scanning softwares will remove the malware, but some things need to be fixed by hand afterwards.

Hang on to your HijackThis log and don't post it yet. I'll bet is very interesting but those logs go in another place here and I am not the person(s) to look at it. Let's get the other info first.

Maybe Stang777 and boopme have some other ideas, so feel free to jump in!

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

I do not have any ideas at the moment and do not know how to post a screen shot here, but do want to point out that I have both a Windows folder and a Winnt folder. I believe mine was an upgrade to XP from 98SE so it makes sense that I have both, although, it seems like my computer running 98SE also has both folders. I know it has a Windows folder, but I think it also the Winnt.

Also, while System Restore will fix many problems, and unlike Jose, I do turn to it first when things go wrong, like Jose, I do not see how it would have fixed any of the problems being experienced here.

I use ZoneAlarm, and have on many systems, and even though I have never had it cause me any problems, every system is different

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

I also have both folders - my WINNT is a Windows 2000 install, but it seems curious that %systemroot% is WINNT, but it is not necessarily a problem, I just want to understand it and be sure that we are talking about XP here and not 2000. I am glad it did not come back as WINDOWS(2) either.

Thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users