Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deciding between too laptops...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dazzledduck

dazzledduck

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

*two :blink:

My HP just committed suicide after just one year of life, and the computer fixit people recommended Dell and Lenovo computers as being reliable. I need this computer to last me 3 years...that is the most important thing I'm looking for at this point, not stats. I can only afford up to 600 dollars, hopefully, less. These are the two computers I picked out.....I've been reading PC Magazine's reviews and, as I'm not tech savvy, it's going over my head. Can anyone help me to determine which one will be better for the long term? Or a different one? I just cannot afford another one if this next one collapses!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...mp;type=product
Price: 499
Processor: Intel® Pentium® mobile processor T4200 (800MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 2.0GHz processor speed)
Memory: 3GB DDR2 SDRAM
Drive: Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW
Display: Glossy 15.6" WXGA widescreen (1366 x 768 resolution)
Hard drive: 250GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
Graphics card: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
Wireless: Dell 1397 wireless networking mini-card (802.11b/g)
Includes: Built-in 1.3-megapixel webcam
Weighs 5.8 lbs. and measures up to 1" thin
With Microsoft Works, Adobe Reader 9 and Roxio Creator 10 Dell Edition.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/control...14C5680E9B35C96
Price: 549 w/ coupon
Processor: Intel® Coreâ„¢ Duo T4200 ( 2GHz 800MHz 1MB )
Memory: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
Drive: DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
Display: 15.6 " HD Wide LED 1366x768
Hard drive: 320GB 5400
Wireless: Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 5100
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit

????????? I just want something that will last and is reliable, as well as run decently well!

Edited by dazzledduck, 23 July 2009 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Lenovos have been known(well at least where I live) to last for ages(I know someone that has a laptop that lasts for a few years already and its still running without any problem).

As for your comparison

The Lenovo has more RAM and Hard drive space which is what you should go for. You can store more videos and run more applications than the Dell.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users