Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AIM 6 frequent disconnection.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rebecca.

Rebecca.

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

I have AOL's AIM version 6 instant messenger, and I never have any problems with it other than the fact that it always disconnects from its server. This doesn't happen for any of my friends - only me. My thoughts were that it could be my location; where I live is up on a mountain, and we don't exactly get the best of connection, even with our cell phones. We always lose service and have to move around to regain the lost service. When my friends or family even come up to visit, they have to move around to get better service, too. But, even my cell phone doesn't lose as much service as AIM 6 loses connection. Every time I lose connection, I get this message from AOL:

"AOL System Msg (5:16:33 PM): Your screen name is now signed into AOLŪ Instant Messenger ™ in 2 locations. To sign off the other location(s), reply to this message with the number 1. Click here for more information."

So, in result to that, I always respond to AOL with the number 1, which signs off the other location(s). Once I actually took the time to read this message, I realized it read "Your screen name is now signed on into AOL Instant Messenger from 2 locations." That had made me think there was a keylogger of some sort on my computer, so I ran about three scans daily, AVG 8.5 and Malwarebytes, but the results came out that there was nothing wrong with my computer. Then, I clicked where it said "Click here for more information", and that gave me this:

"The instant message you received was sent to notify you that your screen name is currently signed into the AOL Instant Messaging Network more than once. This can occur if you log onto AIM and AOL on the same PC. This message is sent to help you manage your instant messaging sessions across PC-based and wireless clients."

This was a false statement by AOL; whenever I am on AIM I am not on AOL mail. Another reason why this had nothing to do with my problem was because it always disconnected, then reconnected before I received the message from AOL. I never really did figure out what the cause of my disconnection was. I went through at least seven screen names and countless theories hoping for this mysterious disconnection to stop, but it never did. Only one person knows my password - my very trustworthy best friend who never logs onto my account, and I never gave it to anyone else. There are absolutely no signs of a keylogger being on my computer; none of my other accounts anywhere else other than AIM did this. The only reasonable theory I came up with was that my connection was bad due to my inconvenient location; whenever I was at a friend's house and went on my account; nothing like this happened.

So what I basically need help with is why this is happening, and any possible way to get it to stop. If anyone has any information on this that could possibly help me out no matter what it had to do with, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Edited by Rebecca., 23 July 2009 - 05:01 PM.

-Rebecca

And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users