Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


how to navigate back to the same place in a web page

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abcd_1


  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:44 PM


i have a doubt.

let me explain the scenario.

I am on a webpage. Say, i am reading the 4th or 5th para of an article.

Then i press control+home key on my keyboard.

Again i feel the need to traverse back to the same paragraph which i was reading a little earlier using keyboard shortcut.

Please tell me if there is any shortcut to do so..

Thanks in anticipation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 Blade


    Strong in the Bleepforce

  • Site Admin
  • 12,785 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:US
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

As long as you aren't currently in a text box. . . . the Backspace Key should do the trick I think.

Also, I don't know if this applies to other web browsers, but Alt+Left Arrow is the shortcut for Back in Firefox.

Hope that helps


Edited by Blade Zephon, 23 July 2009 - 01:51 PM.

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 garmanma


    Computer Masochist

  • Members
  • 27,809 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Depending on your mouse and it's software, you can assign it's buttons for forward and back also
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Papakid


    Guru at being a Newbie

  • Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Guys, I think the question isn't about switching back to the previous webpage, but going back to a particular spot on a single webpage when you lose your place.

I don't know of any keyboard shortcut to do that and really doubt there is one when you use the Home key. You would have to mark your place and I don't see how to, cause when you move away from your place using the keyboard you move the caret and it doesn't have any way to remember where it's been before that it needs to go back to.

Plus this is what the scroll bar is for. It doesn't mark your place, but if you grab the bar with your mouse you can get back to where you were before pretty quickly. However, I too can get frustrated when reading a long article of mostly plain text, if I go up or down a few paragraphs it can be hard to find your previous spot. Sometimes I will highlight some of the text before I move away from it--I find that helps me find my way back to it--but I don't always remember to do that. Also, with this method you have to use the scroll bar, otherwise you'll lose your highligting mark.

Edited by Papakid, 23 July 2009 - 03:35 PM.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users