Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To many issues to name.. Home XP Desktop DELL

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Torin

Torin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

Trying to fix my dads computer. Its completely trashed.
First, when you start it up, it goes to the blue windows screen with the windows logo and it says starting, then it just sits there for 15 or so minutes. When it starts, the wallpaper shows up, no icons, start bar or anything. So i went to tskmgr, and did new task explorer.exe, this seems to work, but so, my tskmgr has literally 30 or more svchost.exe processes running from 15000 k to 16k? I have no idea what that is for? He has spyhunter on it, I'm running it trying to see if it does anything, doesnt seem to help much. I can't even open internet explorer or anything by clicking on it, the way I got spyhunter up, and control panel was by going start>run>system>then i backed up to program files, and did spyhunter and opened up the program. Its running now. I also was able to side click for control panel to open

I tried to open firefox and download hijack this to even begin trying to get a log, but instead of it going into the typical firefox download window, it just puts it on my desktop, with the name and no program (in properties its 0 mb, empty) I cant figure out why its doing this, and I can't open it to try and run anything.

I have the DELL operating system, already installed on your computer, reinstallation cd with mirco windows xp home edition including service pack 2, we are completely ok with just completely wiping the computer out and just having it all factory default, but I put the disc in when the computers on (not when I just start it and at the boot screen yet) but when i try to open my computer, if i click the button nothing happens, so again i do the start>run>system then go to my comp, but it just does a flashlight, nothing else.

Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

Hello, let's try to run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users