Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Direct X

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 woodbutcher1220

woodbutcher1220

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

Hey Folks,
I have a Gateway GT5228 running XPsp3, Athlon 64x2 4200+, GeForce 6900. I downloaded a game from BigFish which required upgrading to Direct X 9. After installation, none of the other games I have will open (CODWAW). I recieve error message,
DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error., and nothing. I have run "diagdx" sp? and shows no problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

"Butch" :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

DirectX 9.0c should have already been installed...been around for about 5 years now, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

You sure you didn't try to upgrade to DirectX 10, which ships with Vista and is not for XP?

Louis

#3 woodbutcher1220

woodbutcher1220
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

it's possible, is there a way to dump directx and reload?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:38 PM

I suggest taking a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113/EN-US/

What I would do is...first, verify the version of DirectX installed, following guidelines in the link.

Once that is done, I would try to manually install the correct version for XP, after downloading it.

Louis

#5 woodbutcher1220

woodbutcher1220
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

I ran dxdiag.exe. Under "DirectX files" the latest version is 9.11 *******. One file, qasf.dll lists as being version 11.00.5721.5145, updated 10/18/2006. All files do not have the same version attached to them. After doing an update download, it says that I already have the latest version installed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

The version information...is not obtained in the manner you describe. You don't look at individual files...to determine what version a program is.

On the System tab...the last line listed (underneath the pagefile data)...reflects the version data for the DirectX install. This should be, once again, 9.0c for any system running XP.

If this doesn't bring joy, I suggest a repair install of XP, How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users