Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linpus Linux Lite driver reqd for epson photo rx560

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hi to all Linux users

I hope someone can guide me on this. Our desktop computer running Vista, is in for repair and we have been using our small Acer One netbook running Linpus Linux Lite. Unfortunately our Epson Photo RX560 printer will not operate on Linux and Epson do not support this either. They suggested downloading third party drivers for the netbook but I have been unable to find anything suitable - only windows compatible drivers. I have managed to get the netbook to recognise the printer, but not the other way around.

Does anyone out there know if this particular incompatibility can be rectified?

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

Hi,
Have you tried this Linux driver from Epsom?

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...003D&tc=6#7

Richard

#3 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

Hi Richard

Thank you for that link. I must be doing something wrong because the driver seems to have downloaded but does not appear to have been extracted as the printer still is ignoring it. My netbook is telling me that I now have 6 print jobs waiting - every time I hit the print button it saves the request. I cannot get at the printer properties to delete these "jobs" as I would be able to do with windows. I do not want to give up on this as I am interested in running Linux Ubuntu on my next laptop and move away from windows altogether.

Do I need a particular unzipping program on my netbook? I believe the driver did unzip using whatever is already installed, but the download was so quick that I am not sure if it really is on my netbook now.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Dee

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

Dee,
It looks like it's a zip file. Not sure where on your system it would have downloaded - do you know? If so I hope this guide is of help?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-can-i-zi...nder-linux.html

Richard

#5 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hi Richard
Thank you for that link, I will try it for more information. I do not know what app was supposed to unzip the driver but something came up on the screen at the time and I clicked OK without making a note of it. Downloads are saved in a file of that name and I will look there for the driver and try to sort out the unzip bit and get back to you with the results on Friday

Again many thanks for your help.

Dee

#6 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

Hi
Well I have tried to get this driver unzipped without any success and phoned Acer today to ask for advice. I was told that all I needed to unzip the file was to double click on the file. I suggested that I needed an unzip function on my netbook, which didn't appear to be there only to be assured that all I needed was to double click and also that the file should have the .sh extension. It doesn't, so I was told to get back to Epson for advice as it must be a windows driver, it is definitely for Linux, I used your first link where all epson printers were listed for Linux drivers.

The message I found on trying another download was
You have chosen to open epson 31411eu.zip from ftp://download.epson-europe.com
What should Firefox do with this file?
Open with Xarchiver(default) (already selected and I used this option)
Save to disc (unselected)
Do this automatically for files like this from now on (not selected)
Cancel OK

I looked at the second link for Linux that you gave me which had the two lines of code for the zip and unzip instructions, this looked straightforward but I do not think I will be able to get at the innards of this Linux netbook as it has already been configured with 4 separate panes with icons presumably to make Linux Linpus more acceptable to windows users, however, I do not know how to get around them.

The driver, by the way, is saved with the printer icon so at least that bit makes sense, it is not in the downloads file, where I assumed it would have been.

I feel a bit lost with Linux just now, however, I am old enough to remember how lost I also used to feel when struggling to learn windows.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Dee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users