Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a hard drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 onimega

onimega

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 05 September 2004 - 05:19 PM

hey, one of my computer's hard drive died and I am now installing a new hard drive, with nothing on it (so obviously i have to install the os too). I don't wanna mess the new drive up. I wanna know how would I go about installing the new hard drive and installing windows (windows xp pro).

System specs:

Intel Celeron 1.3 ghz
256 mb sdram pc133
16x cd-rom
nVidia tnt2 32mb

hard drive: Maxtor Fireball 3 w/40 gb

Thanks.

Edited by onimega, 05 September 2004 - 05:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 05 September 2004 - 06:35 PM

It is actually easier then you think. Just put the hard drive in, and turn on the computer. Upon posting (the series of initial beeps), it will register very basic drivers that will work enough for you to open up the CD/DVD drive. Place the install CD in, and restart the computer with it in. When it starts again, it will read the drive and start installing. Some prefer to force open the drive and put it in that way, put likely the drive is not mounted in a way that could be easily done.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 05 September 2004 - 06:56 PM

Before advising you, I went to the Maxtor site to search for Fireball 3. Most appropriate search would be by model number in the "Hard Drive" search field. I use Maxtor drives.
My experience is with two types: DiamondMax Plus 9 & DiamondMax Plus 8. In my Installation guide the "ATA/133 HDD: Placing the Jumper", diagrams indicate that DiamondMax Plus 8 & Fireball 3 are both Style B regarding the Jumper Block Positions, but that is my only frame of reference with regards to your model. My search for the style name wasn't conclusive.

Maxtor Home

The step-by-step can differ somewhat depending on several things, so I don't want to just rattle it off. I use the software that is supplied at purchase called MaxBlast. It will make an easy job of partitioning, formating and both are required before you load the OS. I also use winxp. I have used the fdisk function, also, in place of MaxBlast even though the product literature points out they don't recommend it. Therefore, I was searching for a download of the MaxBlast that you could utilize. I found that "worldwide support" will get you there. At least I found that maxBlast differs from a dozen applications for various Fireball models, and you can determine better what is most appropriate for you.

one of my computer's hard drive died and I am now installing a new hard drive

I first read this as 1 of your computer's (more than 1) hard drive(s) died. Then I thought, no... 1 of your (MORE THAN 1) computers with a single drive died.

Horses of different colors. :thumbsup: Having multiple computers also tends to make me wonder to what extent you are familiar with hardware changes...not wanting to conflict with your established methods comes to mind. So, there is no easy answer for me at this point.

I don't wanna mess the new drive up. I wanna know how would I go about installing the new hard drive and installing windows (windows xp pro).

I don't want to mess you up. What have you done prior to now?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 onimega

onimega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:32 PM

hehe, i remember when i had my first computer, i am on my third, one was replaced because of age, another (the one i am adding the hard drive on) which its hard drive suddenly failed, and the latest one (the one i am using to make this post right now).

btw, I set the jumpers all right, and connected it to the comp, but the comp won't detect the drive, i know the drive isn't faulty, because i put it in my latest comp (it's in it right now), but i want it in the other computer. It uses an intel mobo, not sure what model, but it's made for the celeron 1.3 ghz (tualatin core). Any body can think of why it's not detecting the hd? I set the jumpers to master when i connected it.

p.s. the drive is ntfs

Edited by onimega, 05 September 2004 - 07:37 PM.

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:54 PM

If Im not mistaken, only WIN XP (OK NT too), uses NTFS.

If you are feeling really adventurous, you should be able to install the other drive in a working XP computer and format it. Then take it out, switch the jumpers to master (or primary), and put it in your 'crashed' computer. Put the WIN XP CD in, turn the computer on, and you should be good to go.

I have installed XP on a few computers from an unformatted drive, and I know that it may seem a little pain in the you know what. I have not had one yet that would fail under a preformatted condition. To insure that it works, I would format it via XP, and use it for a few minutes, as a secondary drive. After it works, take it out, and put it in another computer with the install CDs. Especially if the other computer already has CDs specifically for that hardware configuration (save the new HD).

#6 onimega

onimega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:59 PM

Alright, I'll try that right now. Here i go!

#7 onimega

onimega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:03 PM

Alright, the motherboard still wouldn't detect the hard drive. Ugh.

I hooked it up to the comp, with jumpers set on master, turned on the comp and still nothing.

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:23 PM

At your BIOS screen, no HDD on primary IDE 0 ? I'm thinking three things. Power to the drive. Cable connection at HDD or IDE 0. What else (if anything) is on the cable.

#9 onimega

onimega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:24 PM

Power seems to be fine, cable connected @ HDD 0 not 1. Nothing else is connected to the cable.

P.S. No hdd detected at the bios screen.

Edited by onimega, 05 September 2004 - 09:25 PM.

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:52 PM

Mobo connection=IDE 0 <cable only>connection HDD=0 [Primary]
Mobo connection=IDE 1 <cable>connection Cd-Rom ? (CD-RW) or ? [Secondary]

OK. should be no confusion over jumpers with storage devices. The HDD works fine on computer A. Does not on computer B. Power supply on both computers good. HDD is partitioned/formatted so it has data on it to recognize. You can't load from CD-Rom the OS because the HDD is technically not there. Am I right, so far?

Seems to point to the mobo IDE 0 connection not supplying the BIOS with confirming data that a HDD is in place. Bad cable or bad connect at Mobo or BIOS read error.

(and then presumably the other answer, the right one...)

:thumbsup:

#11 onimega

onimega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:08 AM

alright phawgg, the two IDE connectors, i have no idea which is 0 and 1. the cd-rom is connected to the one on the left (note: it's the one on the left when the top of the case is facing away from me) and the hard drive to the one on the right. the cd-rom is detected easily, but the hd isn't. when i switch them around, the cd-rom isnt detected, but the hd is. i installed windows xp on that hd using my working computer and assumed that if i connect it to the other comp it would work. nope, didn't.

The cables are fine, the cd-rom was detected and worked with both cables. i'm thinking it's a BIOS read error. do i need scsi drivers? because when i was loading maxblast for the hard drive, it said something about missing scsi drivers.

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2004 - 02:41 AM

do i need scsi drivers? because when i was loading maxblast for the hard drive, it said something about missing scsi drivers.

For the time being lets ignore "that something said"...

the cd-rom is detected easily, but the hd isn't. when i switch them around, the cd-rom isnt detected, but the hd is.

So on one of the IDE locations the info is getting back to the BIOS. No matter which device is on it.

LEFT ONE->cdrom [detected]
RIGHT ONE->hdd [undetected]

LEFT ONE->hdd [detected]
RIGHT ONE->cd-rom [undetected]

Since you can not get a report from any software running on winxp at this time (which would tell you which is which)... and unless you can view a mobo schematic diagram such as are found in operation guides (unless you can for certain identify the board and search the manufacturer's website for it)... its up to the BIOS to identify which IDE is 0 & which is 1.

One way would be at detection...if when seen, the device is identified as <what it is> on <location that is unique> If that is not the case then I'd try plan B.

PLAN B

Get a cable designed for two devices, and attach the HDD as master on it. (the end position & jumper for master) Between it and the mobo, attach the CD-rom. Its not recommended from some things I've read, but it won't blow any fuses, either. Set your boot sequence to HDD 1st, CD-Rom 2nd, floppy 3rd and try it. If you didn't have the OS already on the HDD, I'd be inclined to boot the CD-rom 1st, but the point is both devices will be powered and available via cabling to the mobo's circuits.
Or do without the CD-rom temporarily... long enough to at least generate an Everest Report that will pin down which IDE is which.

IT MIGHT BE WORTH A TRY

I'm coming from the point of view that the mobo is designed to accomodate up to four storage devices & a floppy. You have two. The HDD wasn't working where it was originally, thats why you are replacing it. It could be the HDD wasn't at fault. Might be one of the boards IDE ports is bad. Stranger things have happened.

:thumbsup:

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2004 - 07:23 AM

The HDD wasn't working where it was originally, thats why you are replacing it. It could be the HDD wasn't at fault. Might be one of the boards IDE ports is bad. Stranger things have happened.

That is a good point. If your new HD works fine as a secondary in one computer, but will not work at all as a primary in another computer; then it is quite possible that there is something wrong with the (2nd) computer.

Try these and see if they work:

The HD that you think has crashed, install it as a secondary in the working computer. If it works there, then you have isolated the problem: the other computer has a problem reading ANY HD.

Replace your primary HD on the working computer, with your new one, and install XP on it this way. Just as recommended before, place the install CDs in the drive, with the new HD, and turn the computer on. I would NOT recommend that you do this with both HDs in-it is a little more complicated if you already have XP running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users