Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dialer scam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jerseydevil

jerseydevil

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:28 PM

:thumbsup:
Hi, I believe i am infected with a dialer. Please see my last post for a better description. In short, i recieved a bill attached to my phonebill, from a co called integretel for $40. I have since downloaded A2 and adawares latest version, and ran them. I have also contacted verison and got them to block all 900 and toll calls on my dialup line, also 900 calls on my reg phone. I also contacted integretel, and they have taken me off of the customer list of the company that billed me (info900).
Both verison and integretel have dropped the charges and say they will take steps to avoid future repeats. I just want to know if the dialer is still in my system, as the phone co will only drop fees once.Please let me know asap. I can elaberate on all or part of this on request. Thanks a million. Here is my hijack this log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:22:08 PM, on 7/11/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\atievxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\a2\a2guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\GetRight\getright.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Default\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX04.630\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ccleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [a-squared] "C:\Program Files\a2\a2guard.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Background Monitor.lnk = C:\ESM2\Stms.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: GetRight - Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\GetRight\getright.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .swf: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\PLUGINS\npswf32.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Literati - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/tt3_x.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{89204ED9-E3E1-4443-808E-6D77761B00DB}: NameServer = 198.6.1.2 198.6.1.3
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe

Again, thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:39 PM

Hello jerseydevil and welcome to the BC malware forum. There is nothing showing in the log regarding any viruses or malware. The log is clean. There is a missing file that we can repair but first we need to move HijackThis.

Important
Your copy of HijackThis needs to be in a folder of it's own. If it is run from Temporary folders the backups and HijackThis itself could be accidentally deleted if the Temporary folders are cleaned. If it is run from the desktop then the backup files and folders can clutter up the desktop and be accidentally deleted. If it is run from inside a compressed file then the backups are not created at all.
  • Please open My Computer
  • Double-click on Local Disk (C:)
  • Click on the File menu, point to New and then click on Folder. Name the folder 'HijackThis' or 'HJT'.
  • Unzip to or copy and paste HijackThis.exe to the new folder (do not run HijackThis directly out of the sfx or compressed file).
Now start HijackThis and click the Scan button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - (no file)
Now close ALL open windows except HijackThis and click the Fix Checked button to finish the repair.

Also, I don't see any anti-virus or firewall installed on this computer. It is very dangerous to operate onthe internet without at least an anti-virus program. I highly recommend that you install one as soon as possible. Here are 3 free ones available for personal use:Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:51 PM

Hey OldTimer,
First off, thanks for your time. Second, I think I moved hijt to its own folder as you suggested. Third, I followed your directions for fixing the unnamed file.
I then ran hijack again, this time with my external hard drive hooked up. I also downloaded a firewall as per your instructions. I am still getting used to it though.
Anyway, here is my newest hijack log, could you please tell me if all is in order? Thanks, JD :thumbsup:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:31:31 PM, on 7/15/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\atievxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\a2\a2guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\GetRight\getright.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ccleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [a-squared] "C:\Program Files\a2\a2guard.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Background Monitor.lnk = C:\ESM2\Stms.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: GetRight - Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\GetRight\getright.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .swf: C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\PLUGINS\npswf32.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Literati - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/tt3_x.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{89204ED9-E3E1-4443-808E-6D77761B00DB}: NameServer = 198.6.1.2 198.6.1.3
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

Edited by jerseydevil, 15 July 2005 - 07:54 PM.

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

Hi jerseydevil. The log looks clean. How are things running? I see that you have installed a firewall but I still do not see an anti-virus program on this machine and highly recommend that you get one.

Other than that I'd say you are good to go.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users