Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell D620 laptop overheat/shutdown question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jxx88

jxx88

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

Hello.

I have a Dell Dimension D620 with the Nvidia Quadro 110m option installed as opposed to intel's integrated graphics.

I probably wouldn't be asking this if I didn't tend toward the paranoid about these kinds of things- but I do - so here we go....

My understanding is that motherboards have a built-in sensor that will shut the computer down before it gets too hot.

It is also my understanding that the purpose of this is to shut down the computer BEFORE it gets hot enough for anything to get damaged.

I ask because I just tried installing and running Medieval 2: Total War.

Within less than a minute of launching a game, the fan gets loud, then louder, then the computer shuts down.

So I'm pretty sure it's shutting down due to heat.

I've tried it out twice with the same result.

The fan didn't even spin up in the few minutes in which I tried Oblivion, which leads me to believe that the excessive heat/fan spinning up when playing Total War might be due to the fact that the video card is an Nvidia Quadro, which is optimized for AutoCAD and things of that nature rather than games, and there might be a problem with the way Total War is handling it.

I guess that's kinda beside the point...

Anyway, my question is this:

I'm gonna open the laptop up and clean the fans, and replace the stock thermal grease (which is probably a rock by now) with some arctic silver and see what that does, and try it again.

However -

If a computer gets hot enough that it shuts down...How to put it...How hard is it on the machine when that happens?

Bear in mind that I'm not talking about a situation where the computer is running at a really high temp for a prolonged period of time, then crosses a line where it shuts down - I'm talking about a situation where it gets very hot very quickly and shuts down in a very short amount of time (less than 2 minutes from start of program 'till dangerous heat).

I ask because after I do what I can to get the temps lower, I want to try running Total War again, even if I suspect I'll have the same problem.

However, if I'm running the risk of damaging my hardware by it repeatedly getting too hot/shutting down/too hot/shutting down, I'd rather not.

Any thoughts on this?

I'd assume that since it's supposed to shut down BEFORE it gets hot enough to damage anything that I'd be fine. But I don't know if it could possibly be damaged by merely getting hot enough to have to shut down, even if it's only that hot for a very, very brief amount of time.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:40 AM

To my knowledge a motherboard doesn't have a sensor to shut the computer down if it over heats.
It would happlly ignite !
Most modern CPU's [Proccessors] DO have a sensor that will shut a unit off if it over heats bad enough.
That is actually to prevent damage to the CPU, not the entire system.

You are correct that your video card isn't intended for gaming.

Some games are fraphics intensive & are really hard on some video cards.

You are trying to use a computer geared for a specific purpose for something it isn't intended to do.

Kind of like taking a dump truck to a race track with the intention of competing.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users