You really want to try this:
1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER.
EDIT: Sorry just dawned on me that you said the disk will not pick up the OS. Emmm In the bois it definetly picks up your HDD?
Edited by andrewww, 23 July 2009 - 03:41 PM.