Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Impossible

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nemco1

nemco1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:53 PM

I cannot boot in either safe or normal mode. When attempting to boot in safe mode, the drivers will load, I wait, the screen goes black & I get the words "safe Mode" in all 4 corners, the cursor moves, but nothing else. Sometimes I simply get a blue screen with a moveable curor. When running a diagnostic I get "boot manager is corrupt or missing". I cannot run system restore. I have the Vista 64 recovery disks from HP , but the computer will not boot from them (the choice to boot from the cd never appears); however, the computer will run the Vista 64 recovery disk I got from the internet, but it cannot find an operating system to repair. I have one 200gb hard drive, however when I run chkdsk, it calls the drive X & says there is only 3 gb there. One more thing, while booting I noticed the opportunity to go into the raid utility by pushing crtl N. I never put raid on my computer & there is no evidence of it in the boot consol. The computer is an HP Pavilion with an AMD Quad core processor runing windows 64, 6gb of ram, 200 gb hard drive. Of course I do not want to do a clean install of windows because I have a great deal on my HD I do not want to loose. Thank you in advance for your help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

..... however, the computer will run the Vista 64 recovery disk I got from the internet,....

Have you considered using Knoppix Live CD (Linux) to try to rescue the important stuff to external storage media in the meantime?

Here's a link to a guide on how to do so. The version of Knoppix may have changed but the same principles apply:

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Hope this is of some help?

#3 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

You really want to try this:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER.

EDIT: Sorry just dawned on me that you said the disk will not pick up the OS. Emmm In the bois it definetly picks up your HDD?

Edited by andrewww, 23 July 2009 - 03:41 PM.

Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users