Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic (and slow) Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EvilArtist

EvilArtist

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

Specifically, I would do a speed test (doesn't matter from which site), and the download/upload speed would show very low numbers (like about 10% of what the speed should be), and would often rapidly shoot upward and downward. Sometimes, the test will just stop completely (or move to a deathly-slow crawl). Occasionally, my connection will speed back up...but the problem will come right back after a minute.

This erratic behavior is present on all sites I visit. Webpages will pause before loading, and when they do start loading, all the components will load slower than dial-up. Again, on rare occasions websites will load quickly, but only briefly. It's like something is blocking or interfering with the transfer of data, but is very inconsistent. This problem began only a few days ago, and has not once let up.

I have Trend Micro, which I turned off to see if it was interfering. The problem still persisted.

I reset my connection through many different methods (i.e. remove then insert my adapter, reset the router, etc.). Didn't help.

Did a virus scan. No viruses as far as Trend Micro is concerned. (not that that says much :thumbsup:)

Any ideas what it could be?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

What type of connection?

Have you contacted your ISP for confirmation of no problems known on their end?

Connection speeds vary according to time of day and usage of backbone...what do you think your connection speed is supposed to be?

Do a quick test now, Download Speed Test - http://www.numion.com/index.html . Click on Your Speed, then Quickstart. Post the download/upload data.

Louis

#3 EvilArtist

EvilArtist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

Sorry, should've specified earlier. I have a FiOS connection, and I'm supposed to have up to 54Mbps.

This isn't a problem with my ISP, because the other three computers in the house don't have this problem. We all use wireless d-link adapters, too. And trust me, this has nothing to do with walls in the way. I've been using this adapter for years, and this has never happened before. It always worked great until now.

Here's the speed test results:
kilobit/sec	  (kilobyte/sec)
Surfspeed inside United States: 	54.29 		  (6.78) 		 100%
Surfspeed average (worldwide): 	 60.13 		  (7.51) 		  100%
Surfspeed outside United States:	64.66 		  (8.08) 		38%
My download speed is supposed to be 600 KB a second, not 6 KB.

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

Those are not the correct results...I'd like to see the download/upload speeds provided your connection.

Louis

#5 EvilArtist

EvilArtist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

I think I've got it right this time:

http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/ShowMeasu...p?ID=70,668,454

Edited by EvilArtist, 24 July 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

Looking at your numbers...and my numbers...it appears that your upload speed is within the normal range. Mine is 63KB/sec right now and yours is a bit better.

But your download speed should be substantially better than your upload speed...and yours is severely inverted. My download is currently 527KB/sec and yours is about 23KB/sec (very rough estimates).

I think I'd set up your connection on that computer...anew, since you say that the other computers on the connection are normal.

FWIW: We also have a networking forum here, where personnel are much more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am :flowers:.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

Louis

#7 EvilArtist

EvilArtist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

Looking at your numbers...and my numbers...it appears that your upload speed is within the normal range. Mine is 63KB/sec right now and yours is a bit better.

But your download speed should be substantially better than your upload speed...and yours is severely inverted. My download is currently 527KB/sec and yours is about 23KB/sec (very rough estimates).

I think I'd set up your connection on that computer...anew, since you say that the other computers on the connection are normal.

FWIW: We also have a networking forum here, where personnel are much more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am :flowers:.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

Louis

- My upload speed generally seems unaffected by this problem, but will occasionally go crazy, too.

- By setting up my connection anew, you mean I should do what exactly?

- I didn't realize there was a forum dedicated to networking (all I saw was the list of operating system forums). If you prefer it, perhaps the mods can move this topic to the right forum? It would be better than starting a new one, I guess.

Edited by EvilArtist, 26 July 2009 - 05:33 PM.

#8 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

Could you try download a download manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) and downloading some files and see if this makes a difference in speed at all?
Posted Image

#9 EvilArtist

EvilArtist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

Thanks, I'll try it out next time I get a "dip" in my connection. Right now, it's having one of those moments where the connection is at the right speed (600KB/sec), so I can't tell the difference with the download manager right now.

#10 EvilArtist

EvilArtist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

From what I'm seeing, the download manager does indeed seem unaffected by the connection problems I'm having. I'm having problems loading webpages, streaming music/video, and even downloading through the browser, but no problems with downloading through free download manager.

#11 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

From what I'm seeing, the download manager does indeed seem unaffected by the connection problems I'm having. I'm having problems loading webpages, streaming music/video, and even downloading through the browser, but no problems with downloading through free download manager.

I think its because your compute isn't optimized to utilize the full speed. Most all computers(maybe not right now) in the last few years have been optimized for dial-up, not broadband. FDM optimizes itself to use the full speed available unlike your applications. For you to use that full speed you'll have to tweak your computer, more specifically the TCP/IP stack on Win

There are two method available. You could buy something(assuming your using a desktop) [http://www.bigfootnetworks.com/]

The alternative is messing with the TCP/IP stack itself. (Note:You can, if you do the wrong thing, potentially screw up the stack if you do not edit it correctly.)

What version of XP are you using? SP3?
Posted Image

#12 EvilArtist

EvilArtist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

Yes, I'm using service pack 3 for XP.

I'm unconvinced that my rig can't handle very fast internet speeds (mind you I'm no expert, otherwise I wouldn't be here). It's just that my pc has had zero problems with fios for the entire 2-3 years since we've switched from dsl. Even if it wasn't meant for that high a speed, you'd think it would just run at a dsl-equivalent speed, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as it drops all the way down to something like dial-up, and erratically shoots up and down. Plus, download manager effortlessly receives information at a rate of 600KB/sec (as my computer always has for years). How can it be an issue with the entire rig?

This could be unrelated, but a few weeks ago, all the computers in the house received an update from Trend Micro, and ever since then, TM was blocking all of our connections. I guess it was apparently a problem on their end, and eventually it went away. But a couple days after that, this problem occurred with my pc. I already mentioned that I turned off Trend Micro, but that didn't make a difference.

As for the TCP/IP stack thing, I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't even know what a stack is. :thumbsup:

Edited by EvilArtist, 27 July 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

Well if you were fine and no problems before TM updated itself and after you have issues, it seems rather clear that TM is or created the issue. A fast fix would be restore the PC back to before the update and see if that fixes it. Make a restore point before you do, that way if it makes no difference you can restore forward to now.

Mind you I hate restoring to fix issues. But I dislike not knowing the issue.

What TM product are you talking about? Just the virus scan or the internet security?

The only other thing I can think of is removing everything from quarantined list, the exemption list, the untrusted programs list etc. It should then ask you about them and you surf and use programs.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#14 EvilArtist

EvilArtist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

I use Trend Micro 2009, both virus scan and internet security. TM is used as my firewall (I have windows firewall turned off).

I'm not quite sure how to create a restore point or how to restore to a previous point. Any good tutorials to recommend?

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

As a matter of fact BC has a tutorial on this very subject here. Just click on the link near the top Manually Creating Restore Points and scroll down to the next one. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users