Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Network Map/XP netowork visibility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:12 PM

Hmmm... what to start with.

Vista:

My vista computer supposedly has a network map, but it says 'the connected router may be incompatible...". How to solve this?

XP:

My XP computer is on the right side of my desk and has just enough room to put the printer next to the monitor. The thing is, I can't see the XP computer on my Vista's network, so I can't see the printer. But for some reason I see my dad's laptop and my mom's laptop (xp and vista, respectivley). So whats up with this computer not showing up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

What brand router?

Your Vista PC - Has it ever connected? How do you connect(wired or wireless)? Do you have File and Printer sharing turned on?

This is an awesome page on setting up Vista for file and printer sharing.

The thing is, I can't see the XP computer on my Vista's network, so I can't see the printer. But for some reason I see my dad's laptop and my mom's laptop (xp and vista, respectivley).

From which PC can you see your mom and dad's PCs?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

My vista computer can see my mom's vista laptop and my dad's xp laptop, which both connect wirelessly and my vista computer connects through ethernet cables. When I go to my network, i see my dad's laptop and my mom's laptop. When i click full network map, it says "windows cannot create the network map. responses from other devices on the network are delayed or there is an incompatible router on the network." I have a 327W which is a wireless /ethernet port modem router.

My vista is connected through ethernet wires. And let me check that page u told me to check :thumbsup:

#4 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

Well I didn't undestand the webpage really.

But I went on the XP computer and changed the workgroup name to WORKGROUP and now I can see it :thumbsup:

2 things still:

1) My view full map isn't working
2) When ever I try to explore my XP computer through my vista, it says it cant access it because it cant even ping it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users