Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A box on my screen says Windows Explorer has stopped working

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 littlemrsdiaz

littlemrsdiaz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:12 PM

I have a laptop Compaq Presario CQ50 purchased in November 2008. Recently, when I turn on my laptop I have been getting pop up boxes on my desktop that have the words "Microsoft Windows" in the top left corner of the box. One of the boxes says "Userinit Logon Application has stopped
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". There's an option to click "Cancel" so I do that and then the box disappears and so do all of the icons on my desktop for a few seconds. Then the icons come back and the laptop works like normal.

Another box that follows the same pattern says "Windows Explorer has stopped working". I follow the same steps as above and get the same outcome.

From time to time, though, I get these same boxes when I try to open a Word or Excel document. Usually it just takes one turn of clicking "cancel" and then I can open up the document again with no trouble.

I did not install anything close to when this starting happening. Something I did notice was that all of this started happening the day one of my friends' was using my laptop and plugged in her flash drive to work on some word documents she needed to add to. Maybe her flash drive had something weird in it? But I asked her if she had any problems with her laptop at home, which she uses the flash drive on, and she said no. So I don't know if that rules out her flash drive as being the culprit or if she hasn't noticed a problem on her laptop.

Oh, and I don't mean to sound like an idiot but I thought I just had Windows Vista but I read in one of the posts that talks about what information we should provide that (in bold print) we should state what version of Vista we are using. So I don't have that information on hand right this minute but I can find out and reply soon.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by littlemrsdiaz, 22 July 2009 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users