Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Level vs High Level Format

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

I have read on here that in the case of reformatting to get rid of viruses that one should do a low level format and I do not understand what that is. I have read the article from Microsoft that some have linked to that is suppose to explain the difference, but it does not explain it to me.

Is formatting using the XP disk considered low level?

Also, how does one go about using third party formatting tools like killdisk or the format tools from the hard drive mfg? As in, do they have to be burned as an ISO to a cd or can the just be copied onto a cd?

I am assuming they have to be put on a cd as I cannot see how they could run off the hard drive, is that correct?

Edited by Stang777, 22 July 2009 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

Also, how does one go about using third party formatting tools like killdisk or the format tools from the hard drive mfg? As in, do they have to be burned as an ISO to a cd or can the just be copied onto a cd?

As an ISO. The instructions for Killdisk are very easy to follow
Using Killdisk will remove partitions and overwrite the entire drive with zeros
That is a low level reformat
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

What we call "low-level formats" are generally performed by various hard drive utilities, including diagnostics provided by hard drive manufacturers.

Interesting reading at http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/formatUtilities-c.html

Enlightening article, good question :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

In short,

Low level format recreates sectors and tracks on a hard disk. You can increase/decrease number of sectors/tracks etc using this.

High level format just creates a file-system like FAT32, NTFS or ext3 on a hard disk drive.

Is formatting using the XP disk considered low level?

No, its high level formatting.

Low level formatting is not advised in today's hard disks.
In modern drives, the first and last time low level format is done, it is done by the manufacturer at factory.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the info.

I guess Killdisk is the way to go so I downloaded it just in case I ever need it. I even found out my CD Burner shows it will even burn ISO images and I didn't think it would, so that made me happy. Now I just have to decide if the CD version or floppy version of Killdisk is the best one to use. Maybe I will just make both, lol

Thanks again for all the info about this, I have been confused about the formatting info for a long time, now I am not :thumbsup:

Edited by Stang777, 22 July 2009 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users