Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE and sound issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pattat11

pattat11

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

I am windows XP professional I'm having problems getting IE to laod.
Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't.
It may take me 3 or more attempts to log on.

Just last week I lost my sound.
Done the troubleshooting and my sound device says there is no problem.
Yes my cables and everything are fine.
I've run malware and I'm clean.

Don't know where to start.
Start up is very slow, maybe 5 to 10 minutes beore everything loads up.
Processes are from 59 to 63 currently.
CPU usage is between 3 and 13 %

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

If your audio function is not working properly...I would go to Device Manager and uninstall the sound devices...reboot the system and then reinstall the sound drivers.

You might try running chkdsk on your C: partition, Running CHKDSK - http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html

Select both options (Automatically...scan).

Reboot the system and let it run to completion, system should reboot when command is complete with task.

Louis

#3 pattat11

pattat11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

this didn't work for my sound.
I'm afraid to uninstall my driver since I don't have the reinstall software for my system.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

Users can normally download drivers for a system or motherboard...from the respective website of the manufacturer. The CD is not necessarily needed to install drivers, but Internet access is.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 pattat11

pattat11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

windows XP pro
service pack 3
384 MB

I tried to go back and do a system restore, the dates are bold but says it can not restore and try another date.
Started in safe mode and went to try my itunes to see if I could get sound and that gave me an error message that my Bonjour service was disabled which helps me share,

Prior to that I tried sound diagnostics in Direct x and the error message there was Failure at step 19 (user verification of software) hrresult=0x00000000 (error code)
If any of that means anything ??? not to me.

#6 Rebecca.

Rebecca.

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

Quick little suggestion - try upgrading to a higher version of IE or download Mozilla Firefox (for free).

If you do not currently have Internet Explorer 7/8, you may want to upgrade to a newer version, preferably 8. If you do already have version 8, try downloading Mozilla Firefox and do your internet browsing with that rather than IE. Firefox is actually safer than Internet Explorer; it's a bit better at blocking malware from invading your computer, and it's a lot faster with the loading processes.

Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...er/default.aspx

Download Mozilla Firefox:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html
(On this page, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and look to the right; you will see a little icon with the back of a fox circling a globe; next to it will say "Upgrade Your Firefox"; click the green "Download Now - Free" button below.)

About the audio problem:
Look around in your settings and control panel for a bit, see if you can find anything on audio or why your audio may be shut off. If not, try to contact a help and support center; it's probably nothing anyone can fix by showing you what to do over the internet.
-Rebecca

And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users