Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 its_dead

its_dead

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hi all we had a lightning storm last night blew my wireless antinna thats out on the side of the house and now we have one computer that wont turn on my daughters emachine model ET1161 I tried jumping the green whire coming from power supply with a ground and the power suplly turns on but thats it is there any way to tell what is wrong.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

If you try to turn the computer on & it does nothing , no beeps, no video, no nothing , either the power supply or motherboard is suspect.
Unfortunatly jumping the wires on a power supply only proves the fan works.
It doesn't prove the power supply works well enough to start the computer.

I suggest trying a known good power supply.
If it still doesn't come on or do anything other then spin the fans I'd say the motherboard got fried.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 its_dead

its_dead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

is there any way i can jump power supply then test for output voltage seems how i don't have another power supply on hand.

#4 its_dead

its_dead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:12 PM

ok i unpluged powr supply from motherboad jumper it fan starts then i used a volt meter to check and it all seems to have the correct voltage and i see when i plug it back into to motherboard with it jumped the power supply shuts of as soon as i connect it to the mother board.

#5 its_dead

its_dead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

must be motherboard i put powersupply in a older pc that has a bad supply and it starts and beep

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

As I said, testing the power suplly by jumping the wires only proves the fan works.
>When a computer starts , is "booting up" , a power supply is under the heaviest load.
The only way to test a power supply properly is under a full load .

If you hook the power supply to the motherboard & everything else like it's supposed to be , then turn on the unit, & the power supply shuts off more then likely it is bad.

If you turn the uni8t on & all that happens , period, is either nothing or just the fans spin the motherboard is probably bad.

You aren't going to determine what the problem is with a bent paperclip though.

My suggestion is if you don't have any spare parts to work with [I understand most people don't] take the power supply to a shop & have it tested.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users