Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow PC, loud fan.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snipersgethead

snipersgethead

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

The title is pretty vague but I don't know how else to explain it. I don't believe it's a virus problem because I scanned it multiple times, but if someone gives me some tips and it doesn't work efficiently then I will try the security forums. When the computer initially boots up, all is running quite up to speed. Then the fan starts to blow loudly and causes everything to slow down. I have almost no programs running, at least only one. I cleaned my PC a while back but will do so again tomorrow with a can of compressed air. I upgraded to a new video card and had a second HDD installed. If someone could give me a program that runs a diagnostic on my PC and shows all the hardware or just ask what hardware you wish to see so you can see if it's the cause of the fan and the slowdown. I also defragmented a couple times recently.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

what type of machine ? which fan is causing the noise ? if it is power supply maybe it is too light for new added hardware.

#3 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

It's a Dell Optiplex GX240. I'm not sure which fan it is but I believe it is the power supply; the fan is facing the back of the case so I can see it through the filter of the case. it's the new HDD (Hooked on by an IDE cable if it matters) which has too much RPM or my motherboard can't handle 2 HDDs. I'm not really hardware savvy so I don't really know all the inside-outs of a PC.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

is it a stock video card or aftermarket? if its aftermarket, it could be overheating, causing the video card fan to speed up to cool it off more, and tasking the power supply thus slowing down the system. but it could also be a failing power supply, or possible a CPU overheat. hard to tell, kinda need more information about the internal components.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

I was wondering if there was a program that could analyze the PC's components so I can post it here. You can ask me what components you want to know about and I'll post it. The video card is stock, I bought it from Fry's. I'll give you the exact model when I come back later today but it's nVidia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users