Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp wont boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Jones

Brian Jones

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

I have a dell computer with Windows XP operating system. I tried to start it up and it brought up a black error screen that says ..

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair."

I have tried using the set up disk and starting in safe mode, but I can not get anything. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 23 July 2009 - 08:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Psykostx

Psykostx

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

Actually it is funny, (not really but...), because microsoft gives you improper instructions on how to fix this! You need to go throught the whole windows setup process normally up until you get to the partition screen.. Instead of deleting the partition, install over it... setup will ask you if you want to do a repair install (this is not the same as recovery console...). What has happened her, is that some registry entries that contain hardware information about your system are missing or corrupt (just like the error says). You should try and troubleshoot the cause of this error (malware, warez, clumsy clicking when browsing the window directory. Remeber, they can't just find you and infect you, you have to open the door when they knock... but honestly, this problem can be caused by a power failure too....so don't feel too paranoid...

Let me know if this helps...best of luck,

Jon

Edited by Psykostx, 22 July 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#3 Brian Jones

Brian Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

I'm not even getting the reboot CD to pull up. I did get the CD that had drivers and a Dell Diagnosis feature on it to come up. When it ran through a quick diagnosis it gave an error that read...

"Error Code 3700:011B
MSG: Expected fan on high RPM of 2100. Detected fan RPM = 0"

So I looked at the fan and it is not spinning, so I'm thinking maybe the power supply has went out, but I thought if the power supply was bad then the computer would not do anything.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

It does not sound like the power supply that is bad, it sounds like the fan is as that is what is not working. I do not think the computer would do anything at all if the power supply was not working

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Are you talking about the fan in the power supply...that does not appear to be working?

Or are you talking about the CPU fan?

Or are you talking about a case fan?

Location matters a great deal...any system should have at least two fans working properly (CPU and power supply).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users