Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reload this Page Can't determine if it's a HW issue or baaad Spyware.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rizwank

rizwank

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

First, thank you.
Second, if this isn't the best forum/site for this help - I'd love some redirection to the appropriate place.

Updated my Dimension 8400 with HDs, RAM, F/X and Wifi PCI card recently. There was some intermittently spyware issues before the upgrade, and they continued after - soon after I made the mistake of browsing with IE8 before it was fully patched and got hit bad. After lots of debugging, I'm still running into occasional BSODs --

I get intermittent crashes -

STOP 0x0000000a (? , 0x00000002 , ? , ?)
STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,?,?,?) [implied in the old Rustock rootkit]
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA in ntfs.sys
IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I thought it was a H/W issue, but Memtest works fine, and Dell Diagnostics gave the thumbs up. I've had the issue where I couldn't download large files and have them come down w/o a problem - could be an HD controller issue or a virus, so again I'm confused.

Ran MBAM till I turned blue, it isn't finding anything anymore.
Ran most of the webscanners - the system crashes before they complete.
Dr. Web boot disk didn't find anything.
I've scanned my system with the Kapersky Boot Disk while it's been updated. It seemed to work fine, but it wouldn't report what files were damaged and later reported that the definitions were corrupted.

I can't install applications - in Safe Mode it says that the permission has been disabled, and in regular mode, files don't seem to pass CRC checks.

I'm at a loss of what to do. If it's a H/W problem, I can't identify the component, and if it's a Virus, it's pretty damn hard to find.

===

While running MBAM, got another error.
PAGED_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
0x00000050 (xE174EC60, x00000001, x80551AE2, x00000001)

The machine will operate fine for hours and hours and days unless I do some sort of Spyware scan, at which point it dies. (Of course, the scan might be more intensive than other things I'm doing, so not sure that's a smoking gun.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:37 PM

What anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall etc. software do you have installed on your machine?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 rizwank

rizwank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

MBAM and Adaware is pretty much it. I've been using the machine less and less and I've grown more skeptical of the efficacy of some of the big packages out there. Had McAfee and Comodo for a few years...

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

MBAM and Adaware are not enough. You need an anti-virus with realtime protection also. And a decent firewall wouldn't hurt.

These PAGED_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA errors can be very difficult to track down sometimes. Hardware or software can be the cause.

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x50
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users