Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which power supply

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blakes7

Blakes7

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hi! I know next to nil about power supplies. I have a computer that xp stops the install after it says it's checking my hardware. I've tried 3 different disks with the same result. All my hardware checks out---I've run extensive tests. The only thing I haven't checked is the power supply. It's an Okia 500 watts. Somebody on a forum said I should get a new power supply. Now, I'm not a gamer---I just use the video card for simulcasts and viewing pics and small movies, but I am using a pcie card. What is a good power supply for $50 or less? Ir doesn't have to be this year's model---I'm sure I could find a $60 to $80 previous year's model on ebay. Also, what are good brands to look at, and avoid, if I decide to spend a little more. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

<<Somebody on a forum said I should get a new power supply.>>

Well...before assuming it's the power supply...and replacing it would solve the situation...I think I'd do some testing.

See http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php, Motherboards section.

Louis

#3 Blakes7

Blakes7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the response. I wanted to reinstall xp and the install disk stopped as it check the hardware, so I tested all the hardware. I ran microscope for everything; memtest86, and western digital's hard drive diagnostics----everything passed. My specs are:

ASUS M2V-MX SE
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Super Talent 2048MB DDR2 800MHZ
Western Digital WD800JD 80GB SATA2
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 512 mb
Lite-on 20X DVD-RW
Okia A-Power 500 Watt Power Suppl

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

Turn the unit off
Remove the video card
Hook the monitor to the onboard video
Install XP

If XP still won't install you probably either have something wrong with the CD drive or the disk.

Once you have XP installed reinstall the video card.

BTW, A Okia 500 Watt PSU is fine as long as you AREN'T using a video card.
Thet tend to not last long with a video card installed .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Blakes7

Blakes7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the response. I can't do it tonight, but I'll take the card out tomorrow and try that. I know the dvd drive is fine, as I just saved pics for a friend's daughter from her computer and burned them to disk, then read them off the disk. I've tried 3 different install disks, 2 I have and 1 I borrowed, and they all freeze at the same point. AS for the Okia psu, I guess I should be looking in any case, Thanks.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

"but I'll take the card out tomorrow and try that. I know the dvd drive is fine, as I just saved pics for a friend's daughter from her computer and burned them to disk, then read them off the disk. I've tried 3 different install disk"

You would think that a CD drive that works, burns/reads in Windows would br in A-1 condition but that isn't always so.
I've seen drives that worked perfect while birng used on Windows but wouls start installing XP & stall .

If removing the video card doesn't help I strongly suggest you get a different CD drive from somewhere & try it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Blakes7

Blakes7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the response. I removed the video card, but it was the same result.I haven't found another cd-rom drive yet, but I remembered something that may (?) be the reason. I had Mandriva linux on this before, dual booting, and removed it according to a Mandriva site. I still had the grub loader. I used supergrub to change the boot back to xp's boot loader---at least I think that did it. Could that be the problem---that grub is just "masked" and not really removed, and the xp install is reading this, so it won't install?

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

That shouldn't affect the CD disk booting.
I'd try a different CD drive.

#9 Blakes7

Blakes7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. I've tried another cd drive, and also I borrowed 2 other xp install disks and tried them---with the same results. I don't have any problems running the computer, so I really don't think it's the power supply. It doesn't make any sense to me.

#10 Blakes7

Blakes7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

Problem solved! I had uninstalled Mandriva, removed GRUB with Suoergrub, BUT i didn't delete the linux partitions. DOH! It seems windows installer freaks out if it encounters a linux partition---can't handle a competing os I guess. I went into computer management and deleted the linux partitions, rebooted and---VIOLA, the install went seamlessly. Thanks for all the responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users