Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat Old HP Pavillion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

I've never done this before, and I'm a little scared I'm going to screw something up...

I need to completely reformat my old computer. Its an HP Pavilion that's about 7yrs old. It was given to me by a family member, who has had 3 different computers since she got this one, and has mixed all the CDs together, so doesn't know what is what. So I do not have original CDs (I don't think back then they gave you CDs for XP anyhow)

It has an extra hard drive a friend put in - that apparently was never installed correctly, as when you turn it on you get a message about it not being installed properly. But it works.

From reading stuff online, it seems to do a real reformat, you must boot from the CD that came with the computer (Windows XP). Now, as I said above, I don't have this. But what I do have is a Dell *Operating System* CD that came with my new Dell, which also runs Windows XP.

Will I be able to reformat using only this CD? Will everything be okay with it? I'm think I read that you may need a CD with drivers on it...again, don't have it. Is that going to be a major issue? Will the hard drive that my friend installed be okay?

Last but not least, is there anything else I should be aware of? Should I not even attempt this?

Edited by Kat91119, 22 July 2009 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

You could attempt it as it can't hurt, but I would be very surprised if it worked as the Dell CD will be set up to run with Dell hardware.

If after you install Windows it won't boot properly try booting into Safe Mode.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, I just decided to go ahead and give it a try. Its reinstalling now.

I figure I'll have issues with drivers. But I'm hoping I can figure out where to download those online

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users