Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Output to TV suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 psnyder

psnyder

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

Hi (^_^)/

Dell Inspiron 6000
WinXP Media Center Edition, SP 2
Display Adapter: Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

For almost a year, my mother would connect this computer to a Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U television.
We'd connect through a VGA cable.

She brought the laptop to make a presentation at her church, and connected it to a projector.
When she came home, the connection to the TV no longer worked.
In the beginning we set different resolutions for the external monitor and we sometimes got a flickering or rolling screen. Now we get nothing except, sometimes, the TV puts up a bubble saying "Analog" as if something has been connected.

My father has exactly the same computer and his still works with the same TV and VGA cable.
We brought my mother's laptop back to the church and plugged it into the projector, and THAT still works perfectly.

I updated my mother's video & plug+play drivers to the latest ones from Dell's website.

I used an Ubuntu 8.10 live CD with both computers and tested extending the desktop to the TV.
My father's computer worked, and my mother's did not. Which led me to believe this is a hardware problem and had nothing to do with Windows settings (since we weren't in Windows). Both Windows and Ubuntu detects that the computer is connected to an external monitor.

Cycling through the Fn key + CRT/LCD does not bring up the TV.

The S-Video connection to the TV works, but the VGA does not. The S-Video connection is not a convenient option for my mother as it requires unplugging the satellite connection each time.

I looked up VGA connector on wikipedia, and I'm wondering if the "9 pin problem" listed there is the problem.

How do I diagnose exactly what the problem is?
I can use WinXP or a Linux terminal off of a live CD if that would be easier.

Please let me know (^_^)/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users