Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC infected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 iops

iops

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

I'm in desperate need of help, my pc is infected with something and looking on the web so far for a solution hasn't worked.

The problem started after I downloaded a "crack" onto my desktop. Double-clicked on it and few seconds later the item disappeared off my desktop. i did not delete it or anything, I do not remember the file name.

Some symptoms my computer is exhibiting there maybe more but the ones that I've encountered

A) system restore seems every way I've tried ends up in one of two messages
System restore will not protect your computer
1068 error The Dependency Service or Group Failed To Start
I've tried turning off system restore and that won't work either
tried safe mode to system restore no good either
tried through services start won't work as well as cmd

:thumbsup: folder options is not in my control panel anymore, clicking my computer and tools menu has only three options
map network drive
disconnect network drive
synchronize

C) I cannot go on the internet I keep getting page load error, I know this is because of whatever I downloaded because previous to turning off my computer I could use the internet

Also I'm using the same internet but on my laptop since the desktop is infected with something

D) When I go to control panel and click on user accounts the user accounts window shows up with only back/forward and home

E) I try to run ad aware and I get an ad aware 1007 an error occured
Event SSL DOWNLOAD FAILED

SUGGESTED ACTION
RUN WEBUPDATE

Can't do that internet not working on the desktop seems whatever infected my computer won't let me do any anti virus check my windows firewall or go on internet =/

F) Taskbar stays empty
can't change start up items

G) I can't move,paste desktop items or anything else really except text
it seems I can copy desktop items but when I try to paste it is grayed out

I tried to do this
Open Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Security tab. Highlight the "Internet" Icon, click the Custom Level button and make sure that "Drag and drop or copy and paste files" is enabled, click Apply/OK

That is enabled but no good still

I think something is wrong with the boot.ini because I cannot change anything really in msconfig before getting the error
An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an administrator account to make the specified changes.

I am the administrator =/

So basically I can't use the internet,can't copy,paste,move desktop items, taskbar stays empty, can't customize startup, can't do system restore

Please help I don't want to lose my videos,pictures, and other files

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 winlogon as failedme

winlogon as failedme

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

download malware bytes scan computer next open cmd in your c:/WINDOWS/system32 file theres a command type dir /ah it will show all hidden files now you cant just delete them i need someone else to help me if you fine one that you know is a virus (some are important) next to delete it this is where i need help i forget what you type its somehing like ATTRIB THEN A FEW OTHER THINGS WITH IT THEN YOU DELETE THE FILE YOU GAVE THE ATRIBUTE TO oops sorry caps

and since u cant use teh interwebs dowmload it on this comp put it on a flashdrive and then put the flashdrive on your comp but erm dont put it in any others after cuz im sure the virus would find that a suitable place to hide as well

Edited by winlogon as failedme, 22 July 2009 - 01:00 PM.

#3 iops

iops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

download malware bytes scan computer next open cmd in your c:/WINDOWS/system32 file theres a command type dir /ah it will show all hidden files now you cant just delete them i need someone else to help me if you fine one that you know is a virus (some are important) next to delete it this is where i need help i forget what you type its somehing like ATTRIB THEN A FEW OTHER THINGS WITH IT THEN YOU DELETE THE FILE YOU GAVE THE ATRIBUTE TO oops sorry caps

and since u cant use teh interwebs dowmload it on this comp put it on a flashdrive and then put the flashdrive on your comp but erm dont put it in any others after cuz im sure the virus would find that a suitable place to hide as well

anyone other suggestions as to what program I should download onto the flash drive? it is ~2 gb storage.
in case malware bytes won't work or something

#4 winlogon as failedme

winlogon as failedme

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

hmm lol i am only good at removing viruses myself im bad at givin info sorry idk atm anyother programs im hellping other people so maybe one of them can help me :thumbsup: cyz i moved my winlogon on to my desktop now cant even get to logon screen nothing works and my one last hope well on an xp based computer ITS FOR VISTA!!!!!
anyways sorry i cant be of much more help than saying go to microsoft.com and download autoruns then start comp in safe mode at loadup press f8 till it comes up theen open autoruns and tell me all of the programs that it lists (this may take a while) and i will tell you wich ones to turn off (only delete them if it wont let you uncheck them)

#5 iops

iops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

I have used hijackthis hopefully someone on this forum can see what's wrong

malwarebytes won't start me for the installation i get error 372
Failed to load control VbalGrid from vbalsgrid6.ocx. Your version of vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

Removed HiJack This log. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 July 2009 - 05:40 PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hello iops,

I have removed the HiJack This log in your previous post because we do not analyze those logs in this forum.

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/244120/not-sure-what-is-the-cause/

We do not allow more than one topic for the same computer and the same issue as this causes confusion, and in this case may make the disinfection process more difficult.

This leaves you with a choice:

1) Have this thread reopened and the HiJack This log topic deleted

OR

2) Keep this thread closed and wait for assistance in the HiJack This log forum. Please note that that forum is VERY busy.

Please send a Private Message indicating your choice.

Assuming you wish assistance in the HiJack This forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond. Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users