Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing items from taskbar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spamanon

spamanon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

I am running Windows Vista on a Dell laptop (xpsm1710). Every time I restart I get these three programs running in the taskbar (on the right hand side). I would like to permanently kill these guys. Here they are:

1. Java Updater - This one even has a dialog where I have checked the "Never check for updates" box three times. Every time I restart, there it is again telling me that a new version of Java is available. I even tried run>msconfig>startup and unchecked the box (How can I REMOVE the item from the list?). I would like to know how to remove the item from running on restart. I seem to remember in windows 98 you could remove items from the startup in msconfig, but not now. Does anyone know how to do this?

2. Dell support center updates. Same as above, I can see it in msconfig, I can uncheck the box in msconfig, but when I restart the PC the program restarts. Looking at msconfig, the box is checked again!

3. Dell transfer agent. Same as above.

4. Quicktime. This doesn't show in the taskbar, but I can see it in task monitor and kill it there. I hate this damn thing. I rarely use quicktime, so why do I need it running in the background? Answer: I don't!

Please help me.
Specifically, How do I get items REMOVED from msconfig. Not just unchecked, but GONE. Is a regedit in order? I haven't done this in VISTA very successfully. In 98 and xp I just looked for folders in the registry called startup. I can't seem to find therm in VISTA.

THANK YOU!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

Have you already tried:
Start -> Control Panel -> Change Startup Programs (Under Programs)

#3 spamanon

spamanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

Thank you, I didn't know that was there. I had to turn on windows defender to access the programs, but that is no big deal as I can turn it back off later. Of the four items I listed above, only the java updater was available for deletion from running at startup.

Hey, that is a good start!

Any other ideas?

#4 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

I don't have a clue about those Dell related things, sorry.
But from this blog it seems that your solution should have worked... http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/04/30/r...om-starting-up/

As for QuickTime, I don't know why it should run if it's not among the StartUp Programs...
Is it maybe set as your default media player, and when you visit websites with media content, it gets started? Just an idea though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users