Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reenable PC speaker

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

Noticed something really funny about W7 today. The default pc speaker "beep" doesn't come out of the normal PC speaker like it should, and has for all other OSes I've used. Normally it wouldn't be a problem, but I want Skype set up so that the ring comes out of both the external speakers and the internal speaker, in case I have the sound turned down or off for some reason. Microsoft's little "let's clean up the ugly beep the computer makes and make it a pretty noise that comes out of the external speaker" thing kind of kills that, is there any way to get the sound to go through the correct speaker?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

As far as I know, there is no way to select two output devices for sound.

The default pc speaker "beep" doesn't come out of the normal PC speaker like it should

I'm curious as to why you think that? It is certainly true that typically when the PC boots, the system speaker emits a beep. These days though since virtually every motherboard contains onboard sound cards, there really is no need for a system speaker. I think that out of the last dozen systems I built, I only installed the system speaker in one, and that was to diagnose a boot issue.

I am reasonably sure that modern operating systems force output to a single device. I have seen programs where one can assign a particular application to a particular output, but not two simultaneously. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that it used to come out of the system speaker, and the external speakers?

#3 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

The computer has a system speaker, and the motherboard can produce the beep, I've heard it before, and if I boot a Linux live CD and use a command to make the computer beep, you get the old fashoned, rough "beep" sound from inside the computer. But with Windows 7, it seems like it's been turned off, and whenever a program sends a beep to the internal speaker, it ends up getting translated into a "fancy" beep coming from the external speakers, which I don't want it to do, in case they're turned off or down.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

I understand. What I asked was, did it ever come out of both speakers at the same time, external and system.

#5 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:26 PM

No, it only comes out of the external speaker, nothing comes out of the PC speaker, even if I mute the sound. Does it with all of the beeps that are programmed to go out the PC speaker, from ctrl-g in command prompt to the skype PC speaker ring.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

Just a guess, but I am going to assume that the way Windows 7 uses the system speaker has changed. There is no setting that I know of that will allow one to select multiple output devices for sound, and without a hack/patch from Skype, I know of no way for one to feed an application through the system speaker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users