Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Im a newb and need help building my system

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 EnsignJames

EnsignJames

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hey Im putting together my first system and trying to do it within a strict budget. Im going to try and order all my products from Newegg and keep it under $600. Ill mainly use this pc for gaming thus I need a good CPU and GPU
Here is what Im thinking...

CASE: Thinking 1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA
2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811156078

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103649

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130435

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

Optical: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827136144

All feedback would greatly be appreciated bz this is my first system build.
Let me know if I need to add anything like an optical drive or if this is enough..thanks!

Edited by EnsignJames, 22 July 2009 - 12:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

For about 13 more bucks you can get this 750GB HDD.. Seems worth it to me to get 50% more storage space for roughly 25% more in cost if you can stretch the extra 13.

Of course you will need an optical drive to game lol. Here are three for $25, (well $24.99 lol). All three are decent.

Everything else looks good. Pace is more familiar with the AMD stuff and he will know if there are better buys on a MoBo/CPU. Did you by chance search Newegg to see if there were any Mobo/CPU combo deals?

#3 EnsignJames

EnsignJames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Ha I figured I would need an optical drive and that LG one looks pretty good..
I have done a lot of searching on Newegg before creating this post so I had a chance to put together a list.

I found some combos but they didnt seem to be AM3 which I heard is the future?
Plus the combos always seem to come out more than buying this stuff individually..
thanks for the quick response btw :thumbsup: :huh:

#4 EnsignJames

EnsignJames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Actually after you suggested combos I found two that would save me money

Either the same CPU w/ a different MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.205337

Or the Same MOBO w/ a different CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.212270

Which one is better?

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

"they didnt seem to be AM3 which I heard is the future?"

Who did you hear that from ?
AMD or the guy that just bought one ?

As fast as technology changes what is touted as "the future" seems to change daily.

Right now . price wise AMD is probably "king" .
From what I have read the Intel i7 is the performance "king"

From what I read Intel will release the i5 pretty soon.
That may change the "future" .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 22 July 2009 - 09:43 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 EnsignJames

EnsignJames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

Ha as far as the future I just meant its has more investment potential than AM2+ and all the earlier ones..
I am also faced with a problem
All my components come out to be about 617 with shipping included..thats not the problem..
I realized that I am running 32bit XP on my current computer and I am going to need a 64bit one for my custom build..
yet isnt that another $100+..that blows my budget apart :thumbsup:

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

Compared to AM2 & older AMD technology "they" would be correct about AM3 being the "future" of AMD [for awhile] .

On the needing a 64 bit you could see if you can get the RC of Windows 7 64 bit & use it until 7 final is released.

If push comes to shove couldn't you "make do" with the 32 bit OS you have until you have the $ for a 64 bit OS ?

Edited by fairjoeblue, 22 July 2009 - 03:26 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

That's a pretty good build. AM3 is the most recent socket for AMD processors, just as LGA 1366 is for Intel. I would suggest getting an ATI GPU as the board contains three PCI-express x16 slots. I suggest the HIS H485FN1GP Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit, it is about $10 more and has higher performance. If you want to go even more high-end, you can go for the HIS H487FN1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB, but that is, obviously, more expensive than the 4850. For a case, I suggest a full ATX tower as it has added depth. Full ATX cases are large and heavy, but you can get more into them, such as longer GPUs. I suggest the Thermaltake Eureka VC8000BWA. In my opinion, aluminum cases are better made. Remember, you need an operating system for that computer as well. You can purchase an OEM edtion of Vista, 64-bit of course, and get a free upgrade coupon to Windows 7.

3939.png

#9 EnsignJames

EnsignJames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

im going to have to make do w/ the 32bit XP for now after I get this thing built which will only waste a little RAM if Im not mistaken...
would it be wise to order some of these parts now while they still have an active rebate rather than wait to order the whole thing at once?
thanks Pace..ill probably jump up to that ati card instead of the 9800gt..but idk for sure..
thanks again for the suggestions..hopefully everything will go smoothly with the ordering and building part :thumbsup:

Edited by EnsignJames, 22 July 2009 - 03:53 PM.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

My opinion, [ I hope this makes sense] .

If you can get enough to make what you buy work, to make sure it works, buy now.
If you would have to wait more then 30 days to get it all wait.

My logic is if you get something that doesn't work you can RMA to newegg instead of the manufactyrer.
The egg is usually a lot quicker on RMA's then manufacturers.

Another thing, check the rebate link to find out exactly when the rebate starts & ends.
The egg has a bad habit of putting rebate offers on the page a month before they actually start & leaving them after the rebate expires.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 22 July 2009 - 03:54 PM.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

Oh I agree, Newegg is so much better with RMA's than manufacturers. You don't need a 64-bit OS, it is just a good idea to have it. You cannot transfer Windows from one PC to another without violating the license. That is, unless you have the full retail version of the operating system and not the OEM editions that come with new PC's. You can still install and activate it, it's just...wrong to do so. The best thing to do is download the Windows 7 RC ASAP and install it when you get the new PC.

3939.png

#12 EnsignJames

EnsignJames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

Yea I checked most of my future purchases and conveniently though all have rebates that expire July 31:(...ha so I will most likely wait another month to buy and maybe have to switch up some things and grab some other rebated things...
but Ill download the RC for Windows 7 and just keep it on a disc for when I get my computer..then by the time it expires in a couple of months I will defintely have the money for an OS
thanks again guys! Huge Help!!! :thumbsup:

#13 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

I never saw any recommendation on either of the combo's lol. Personally, I liked the one with the same CPU and different Mobo.

Oh, and what they said about the OS. I just checked. You can download the RC of Win7 until the end of August, and the Key Code they give you with it will be good until Oct. of 2010. Surely between now and then you can save enough pennies to buy the OS lol. Plus, if you do it that way, you can get the 64 bit version and not waste that .5 GB of RAm. It will also allowed you to get another 4 GB's later down the road........

#14 EnsignJames

EnsignJames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:30 PM

Yea im downloading the WIndows 7 Rc as we speak...ill burn it to a dvd and keep the key until i get it loaded on my pc and then i can use it w/o interruption until march 2010 so that should work out perfectly..
I actually chose to go with the combo you are referring to with the same CPU and different Mobo it has pretty excellent reviews on the site..
now I just need to save up those last few dollars and buy all the parts!!

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

Just remember, you will lose all your data when you go from the RC to the RTM version of 7 since you have to do a clean install. Backup as you go and be cautious with any software that has a limited number of activations, such as Steam and some games.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users