Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Different XP systems one computer, can't find file

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:40 AM

Hey guys,

I have a friend staying with me, and he has his Dell 8600 laptop he purchased 3 years ago used. Anyway, sometime back, he accidently deleted an important .EXE file on his Dell, and it wouldn't come up. He used his Dell restore/XP disc to re-install Windows, but, now, he has 2 versions of windows on it. One is XP home and one is XP Pro. You have to manually choose Home to boot, as Pro is missing that .EXE file, and won't boot.

He has some files (such as music, pics, etc) on the XP Pro side that he really would like to be able to access or copy to the Home side.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:20 AM

Can you not access the XP Pro partition from XP Home? Go to My Computer and there should be another Disk called 'D' or something similar in there?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

FWIW: No Dell restore CD...would restore a version of XP that is different from the one originally installed, if the proper CD was used.

XP Home and XP Pro are dissimilar versions.

Louis

#4 Chris S.

Chris S.

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

Does a search for *.jpg return any old pics?

If you can access the data from XP Home, use Start > Run > c:\boot.ini to remove the prompt for the additional operating system without deleting data. (backup first)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

I don't believe that modifying the boot.ini entry...has any impact on accessibility of files while in XP...of a different install.

In fact, the only files impacted at all by the fact that there are two different operating systems...would be the "My series" (Docs and Settings, My Documents, etc.). Access to these files is routinely obtained by following the procedures in How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

If the music, etc. data files are in My Documents or any of those subfolders...all the owner has to do is take ownership of those files from the other install.

After files have been removed from the unwanted operating system...user can get rid of that install by just deleting the Windows folder for that install.

After that is done, the boot.ini file can be made correct by Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

Louis

#6 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:09 PM

Well, here is what I have going on.

I went to Windows Explorer, and can find no other hard drive on this computer except the C and the D(CD) drive.

I can see the point about "taking ownership," but, I don't see the folders/files to be able to take ownership of.

I really, to be honest, don't know what I am looking for. I think these are MP3s but, I am not sure.

Thanks guys.

jeremy

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

Understood, there may not necessarily be another partition :thumbsup:.

What happened is that your friend made both installs...on the same partition. That's why the boot.ini file reflects 2 installs, but there is only 1 C: partition.

On that C: partition, there should be two Windows folders...one for XP Pro and one for XP Home.

Both Windows folders should be visible from either version of XP, because they are on the same partition. One may be labeled "Windows", with the other labeled "Windows.001", hard to say. Bottom line: If two Windows folders are on the C: partition, you have the situation I envision.

Take a look at the folders in Documents and Settings. The My Documents folders are part of this set of folders.

You could also just use the XP search function with a wildcard to search for files of a given type. When they show up in the search results, you can try to move them to wherever you want them.

XP FAQ, Two XP Installs On Same Partition - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users