Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with TR/Dropper.Gen... Please help :(

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nicerobot

nicerobot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

Hello. I'm new to the group and first want to say hello to everyone in this wonderful forum.
Tonight I downloaded what I thought was a game and instead got infected with a TR/Dropper.Gen trojan virus. Now system restore won't work, my computer restarts itself if I try to run a scan using Avira Anti Virus, I can't visit most websites regarding malware/trojans and worst of all I can't back up any of my data to my DVD-RW drive because the computer now thinks its just a regular CD-ROM drive.

I've downlonaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, but when I go to launch it, nothing happens. If there's anyone that can help me get this horrible thing off my computer, I'd be eternally greatfull. I'm running Windows XP on a Dell 8200 PC and have using Explorer 7 as my browser.

PS. At the very least if someone could tell me how to get my DVD burner recognized again so I can back up my data - I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:06 AM

In many cases, online gaming sites are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. They can lead to other sites containing malware which you can inadvertently download without knowledge. Users visiting such sites may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. Gaming sites can put you at risk to fraud, phishing and theft of personal data. Even if the gaming site is a clean site, there is always the potential of some type of malware making its way there and then onto your system. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be successfully cleaned or repaired. In those cases, recovery is not possible and the only option is to reformat/reinstall the OS. -- Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it first.
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file file and rename it to mysetup.exe.
  • Double-click on mysetup.exe to start the installation.
  • If that did not work, then try renaming and changing the file extension. <- click this link if you do not see the file extension
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
  • Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan.exe.
  • Double-click on myscan.exe to launch the program.
  • If that did not work, then try renaming and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
  • Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.

Be sure to update MBAM through the program's interface (preferable method), then perform a Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.

Note: MBAM uses Inno Setup instead of the Windows Installer Service to install the program. If installation fails in normal mode, try installing and scanning in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 nicerobot

nicerobot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

Thank you so much for the help. I was able to get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware started by renaming it and ran a few deep scans. The logs from the first two scans are below. (I got an update to Anti-Malware before the second scan and found one additional infected item). Despite running the scan and having the software remove/quarantine the infected objects, I'm still having all the symptoms of the TR/Dropper.Gen virus previously mentioned. I'm not sure what the next step would be.

FIRST DEEP SCAN:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2421
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

7/22/2009 11:29:33 AM
mbam-log-2009-07-22 (11-29-33).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 135506
Time elapsed: 21 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 6
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.132,85.255.112.188 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{90bfc85b-e017-4447-af64-764897a9844e}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.132,85.255.112.188 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.132,85.255.112.188 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{90bfc85b-e017-4447-af64-764897a9844e}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.132,85.255.112.188 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.132,85.255.112.188 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{90bfc85b-e017-4447-af64-764897a9844e}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.132,85.255.112.188 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\cpnprt2.cid (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

SECOND DEEP SCAN (AFTER UPDATE):

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2481
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

7/22/2009 12:51:08 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-22 (12-51-08).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 136443
Time elapsed: 21 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Richard\Local Settings\Temp\OmegaView.exe (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt - alternate download link.
Follow these instructions for performing a scan in "safe mode".
If you cannot boot into safe mode or complete a scan, then try doing it in normal mode. Be aware, this scan could take a long time to complete.
-- Post the log in your next reply. If you can't find the log, try to write down what was detected/removed before exiting Dr.WebCureIt so you can provide that information.

Please download Rooter.exe and save to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Double-click on Rooter.exe to start the tool. If using Vista, right-click and Run as Administrator...
  • Click the Scan button to begin.
  • Once the scan is complete, Notepad will open with a report named Rooter_#.txt (where # is the number assigned to the report).
  • A folder will be created at the %systemdrive% (usually, C:\Rooter$) where the log will be saved.
  • Rooter will automatically close. If it doesn't, just press the Close button.
  • Copy and paste the contents of Rooter_#.txt in your next reply.
Important: Before performing a scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Clean out your temporary files.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users